Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
LLeBRing
AF Newbie

97 Bravada- odd sound when wheel is turned (to any degree)

Hey guys, got this issue and its just driving me nuts. Let me give you some brief info on the issue, and hopefully one of you have experienced it before.

- Started about two months ago, a low bass'y sound when turning the wheel 1 degree and greater to the left or right. Doesn't happen when the wheel is straight.
- Got new tires, new alignment (Needed it anyway). Issue is still not solved
- The car naturally is straight, so the alignment is good.

It's difficult to describe the sound, but when the steering is not perfectly straight, a low bass'y (lack of a better word) sound eminates. I can feel the sound slightly through my left foot on the floor. Obviously, as I go faster, the sound gets louder. It is NOT a high pitched squeel, shriek, nor does it sound as if its metal on metal.

Put it up on a friends lift the other day. We can't see anything 'appearing' to be wrong. The CV Joints look excellent, everything is greesed up, lubed, you name it.

I'm hesitant about taking it to a dealer if I myself am unsure of what it is. I've been taken for some pretty wild rides

Again, I wish I could describe the sound better, but imagine a low pitched bass sound getting louder and louder as your speed increases and only eminates when your steering wheel is not perfectly straight. Oh and I do mean perfectly straight. I can wiggle the wheel left and right, barely moving it, and have the sound go in and out as the wheel moves left to right and vice versa.

Hopefully one of you have experienced something similar?
LLeBRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: 97 Bravada- odd sound when wheel is turned (to any degree)

Have you checked the air pressure in your tires?
Does the "bass" sound rumble or is it a steady "bass note"?
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 AM   #3
muddog321
AF -Advisor

Check the front hubs and CV axles for wear. Jack up under the lower control arm so the axle is not loaded or extended down and binding.
muddog321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
LLeBRing
AF Newbie

Got it solved...

Seems to be the front driver side wheel bearing. $130 at an advanced auto parts, a friend with a lift, and presto- noise fixed.

I thought it was something out of the blue like an idler arm. All I had to do though was really wiggle the tire with the truck lifted, compare the movement of the one that had the sound, to the one that didn't, and that was it. Like night and day. Replaced the part and now i'm good to go.

Thanks for the replies guys
LLeBRing is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis