Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
OnlyManual
AF Newbie

First car, to sport or not to sport

I am 21 student in physics engineering, very demanding study but I have the time the summer as I still live with my parents. I have zero expenses at the moment so having 350-450$ per week allow me to only work 10 weeks per years to get approx 4-5k$. Last summer I made 8k$ and I currently have 6k$.

I want a car, that is a large initial expense and will require maintenance. I am planning to do some road trips, exploring my province (Quebec, Canada). I have a good road bike I would like to bring with me. I will not use the car winter time and I don't expect to do more than 10 000km per year. 5000 km would still be a lot.
My parents have two cars one of them I use when I need. A yaris fun little car to drift with but damn boring to drive. Lot of vibration when I go above 130km/h and 150km/h is really the maximum I ever did following someone with this car. Max speed here is 100km/h but every one drive at 110/120, police are quite tolerant and there is really only few of them on the highway to control speed.

If I ever buy a sport car, I want it to do 0 to 60 under 6 sec.
I looked at the honda accord EX v6 coupe 2005-2006 manual 6-sp and seems like the perfect car for me. Actually it is going for 9k$ with approx 100 000km.
Car seems to not need that much maintenance and it has a relatively good fuel consumption.
In the other hand, I know I want to do some trips. I know honda accord is a quite a reliable model, I checked reviews and repair logs. Manual models seem to have problem with the 3rd speed but it is not a deal-breaker problem. I am wondering if I should instead get a 4-cylinders car under 2 litters like the nissan sentra 2005-2006 that is also reliable and very good on consumption. Boring and ugly car but car are used to travel not to having fun with (at least that is not their prior use).

I kind of need opinions of what I should go with. I won't use the car to commute. I will use it to travel a bit, go out with friends (I never drink and drive nor do I do stupid things such as racing cars), if that is a sport car I drove a BMs (328i 2011), Mercedez, Audi A4 2012, Charger 2011 300HP and a mazda 3 & 6 sport and always enjoyed speeding a bit like on the highway or when streets are desert. I really don't want to get caught so I rarely exceed speed limit, I just accelerate fast to the speed I want to drive to. I love that

So yea, that is the only reason why I would like a sport car. That and the control I feel driving the sport cars named above particuliarly the 328i and the Dodge Charger (I did 100MPH on a 30MPH road, I thought the reading was in KM/h! I thought others were driving very slowly but I never felt like I was in danger or going to lose control. I was probably under adrenaline doing zig-zag to avoid other cars but I was confident. The only thing that scared me was when I had to stop the car at a red fire. It was really hard to break (160km/h to 0!))
OnlyManual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: First car, to sport or not to sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyManual View Post
I am 21 student in physics engineering, very demanding study but I have the time the summer as I still live with my parents. I have zero expenses at the moment so having 350-450$ per week allow me to only work 10 weeks per years to get approx 4-5k$. Last summer I made 8k$ and I currently have 6k$.

I want a car, that is a large initial expense and will require maintenance. I am planning to do some road trips, exploring my province (Quebec, Canada). I have a good road bike I would like to bring with me. I will not use the car winter time and I don't expect to do more than 10 000km per year. 5000 km would still be a lot.
My parents have two cars one of them I use when I need. A yaris fun little car to drift with but damn boring to drive. Lot of vibration when I go above 130km/h and 150km/h is really the maximum I ever did following someone with this car. Max speed here is 100km/h but every one drive at 110/120, police are quite tolerant and there is really only few of them on the highway to control speed.

If I ever buy a sport car, I want it to do 0 to 60 under 6 sec.
I looked at the honda accord EX v6 coupe 2005-2006 manual 6-sp and seems like the perfect car for me. Actually it is going for 9k$ with approx 100 000km.
Car seems to not need that much maintenance and it has a relatively good fuel consumption.
In the other hand, I know I want to do some trips. I know honda accord is a quite a reliable model, I checked reviews and repair logs. Manual models seem to have problem with the 3rd speed but it is not a deal-breaker problem. I am wondering if I should instead get a 4-cylinders car under 2 litters like the nissan sentra 2005-2006 that is also reliable and very good on consumption. Boring and ugly car but car are used to travel not to having fun with (at least that is not their prior use).

I kind of need opinions of what I should go with. I won't use the car to commute. I will use it to travel a bit, go out with friends (I never drink and drive nor do I do stupid things such as racing cars), if that is a sport car I drove a BMs (328i 2011), Mercedez, Audi A4 2012, Charger 2011 300HP and a mazda 3 & 6 sport and always enjoyed speeding a bit like on the highway or when streets are desert. I really don't want to get caught so I rarely exceed speed limit, I just accelerate fast to the speed I want to drive to. I love that

So yea, that is the only reason why I would like a sport car. That and the control I feel driving the sport cars named above particuliarly the 328i and the Dodge Charger (I did 100MPH on a 30MPH road, I thought the reading was in KM/h! I thought others were driving very slowly but I never felt like I was in danger or going to lose control. I was probably under adrenaline doing zig-zag to avoid other cars but I was confident. The only thing that scared me was when I had to stop the car at a red fire. It was really hard to break (160km/h to 0!))
My suggestion would be to make a list of the vehicles you really like . Perhaps drive any on the list that are available for sale in your area , keeping notes so as to be able to remember precisely your thoughts of each individually . When looking at multiple cars in a short period of time , the specifics of each one often get jumbled in our minds and confuse you when it's time to make a decision . My biggest suggestion is because of your age ( 21 yrs. ) , that you take your list of potential purchases to whatever insurance company you intend to use for your car . You age bracket as well as the fact you are a male can make a significant difference in your insurance rates . The choice of cars ( whether it's a 4 door sedan , sports car , etc. ) will also make a significant difference in the cost of that coverage on your chosen vehicle . I would talk to an insurance agent and explain your situation and see if they might be able to offer any help or suggestions ? Good luck and keep us updated !

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General