Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
CHEVY1
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2000 astro with skipping passenger axle

Hello

I have read a few of the threads on this site and i am at a loss to what to think or consider
or ask a repair shop as it seems this issue is or can be many problems causing this. I would like to narrow it down so possible do it myself or have fixed , but I would like to sound that i know what i am talking about if take it some place else. I have had the gear lube flushed and replaced a few years back as was in bulletin at a Chevy dealership. Seemed to help a bit , but became more sticky. I just had new lube and a differential cover replaced because I was towing and it still skips. Mostly on short slow turns forward and backward it gets pretty bad sometimes.I do notice that when leaving a traffic light from a dad stop it seems to clang or bang a bit off acceleration(no noise just a feel) Any noises i can listen for? I am worried i may break axle or lock up the rear end specially while towing.I have had a dealership tell me 1000 to open and start looking. I have replaced all breaks , rotors and drums. new front suspension parts , new oil cooler lines, tune up and 1 injector about
2500 worth and she has 135,000 on it. I know that not one person can say this is the problem, but maybe with a few it would help me try to solve before I put another 2500 in it and maybe fix it. The transmission shifts very good and about 17 0n the highway . sorry so long and thanks to all for reading. signed Crazy !!! about this ahhhhhhhh
CHEVY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Re: 2000 astro with skipping passenger axle

I see not alot of people jumped on this bandwagon---This one is tough to explain-- I have this same problem. Kind of bad clicking noise (skipping) when rear end is under stress.. I have been living with it for a while.. Just have to let up on gas and go easy... Sorry no ansewers today but I am going to dig into it deeper and will get back with ya---(don't hold your breath) but I will be back! I have an 02 Safari with 160k----Gotta be something in the rear end!
94&92Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
MikeS144
AF Newbie

is your Astro an AWD model by chance? there was a write up I saw some time back about flushing the Xfer case with a specific lube. My 94 AWD was doing exactly what you are talking about.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS144 View Post
is your Astro an AWD model by chance? there was a write up I saw some time back about flushing the Xfer case with a specific lube. My 94 AWD was doing exactly what you are talking about.
No--mine is RWD-not many AWD down here--I used to think it was tires rubbing against body because of oversized tires---Now I don't know WTF but planning on changing some bearings and fluids on the rear end---I'll let this thread know if I find anything---Gotta be something to this!

I use these battle wagons in my business---I have a 92--94--97 and 02 only the 02 has these symptoms---all RWD

Last edited by 94&92Astro; 07-12-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
MikeS144
AF Newbie

Did you swap out the u-joints? That would be my next move.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS144 View Post
Did you swap out the u-joints? That would be my next move.
No but will take a serious look at them--Just can't imagine that could cause it--- but really don't know--Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
jennhi
AF Newbie

I drove 100,000 miles in my astro AWD with a severe noisy jerking when I turned corners. Just today drained the transfer case, put in the auto-trak II transfer case fluid from the dealership-$9.00 a qt- drove 5 miles, went to some parking lots and made the tightest turns I could- shuddering, seizing- GONE. Unbelievable- problem solved! I wish I had seen the forums on this issue earlier, saw them a while back and didn't believe it could be that simple. IT IS! Change that fluid today!
jennhi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jennhi For This Useful Post:
94&92Astro (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennhi View Post
I drove 100,000 miles in my astro AWD with a severe noisy jerking when I turned corners. Just today drained the transfer case, put in the auto-trak II transfer case fluid from the dealership-$9.00 a qt- drove 5 miles, went to some parking lots and made the tightest turns I could- shuddering, seizing- GONE. Unbelievable- problem solved! I wish I had seen the forums on this issue earlier, saw them a while back and didn't believe it could be that simple. IT IS! Change that fluid today!
Neither do I---but we will see---I am presently changing rear bearings to quell road growl (I hope) Should have it knocked out today--Hope I am as lucky as Jennhi---Was planning on doing a couple of other things since I had it up but tripped over the spare tire and busted my __. Anyway I'll report back.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94&92Astro View Post
Neither do I---but we will see---I am presently changing rear bearings to quell road growl (I hope) Should have it knocked out today--Hope I am as lucky as Jennhi---Was planning on doing a couple of other things since I had it up but tripped over the spare tire and busted my __. Anyway I'll report back.
First, as to the skipping--I would like to say this is something I have been dealing with for over a year-- I replaced the two axle bearings and replaced the differential fluid with some semi-synthetic Valvoline 80w-90. Of coarse the magnet in the cover was packed heavily with small metal shreds. I can proudly say the skipping is gone. I would guess as Jeni's previous post it was primarily the fluid--Yes the fluid... I don't think the main bearings were that bad and certainly didn't see anything there that would cause it... If you have this issue, I would simply change the fluid and clean off the magnet...Pretty simple job--just make sure you have a good set of jack stands -- (Oh and move the f__c__g spare tire out of the way) This victory however is bitter sweet as that "road growl" sound remains---I managed to also change the ujoints while I was having such a good time-- I'm still trying to figure out WTF it could be as I pretty much went over everything---Someone said something about the differential bearing--I'll look into that--but just made a trip down the interstate and I was cursing that frickin grinding sound every inch of the way--It's driving me crazy!!!!Sounds like it's coming from the rear axle somewhere--Any suggestions would be appreciated and When (if) I get it figured out I will report back...

Last edited by 94&92Astro; 07-28-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 08-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
94&92Astro
AF Regular

OK-- the skipping as we label it has not re-appeared since changing differential fluid---I changed the rear wheel bearings just for fun but didn't see any real issues there. After listening to the steady road growl, I determained it's either the pinion or carrier bearings inside the rear end. Fixing this is just beyond my ability and knowledge.. I got a pretty good idea of the procedure but like I said----but it has to be dealt with soo and I am looking at a couple of jy rear ends as this is something I can handle (I think) with a rattle gun and some devine intervention. May be awhile but I will report back... Old Master if your out there could have used a few words of wisdom...