Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
GeoRandy
AF Regular

Radiator Drain Petcock, where is it?

I have a 2004 GMC Safari and the coolant is a nasty rusty soup. Thought I'd simply drain the system, flush it, and replace with new fluid just like I have done on my '85 and '92 Astro/Safari vans.

But no! The little recessed circle on the passenger side at the bottom of the radiator is sealed. There is no petcock. There is the usual little drain pipe below it at the bottom of the radiator BUT THERE IS NO PETCOCK TO TURN. What is the deal? How am I to drain the radiator?

The lower hose on the radiator is an option, I know, but it is so high I don't think I will adequately remove all the rust and junk at the bottom of the radiator. I can't just turn the van upside down and shake it.

Anybody know how to drain the radiator on a 2004 GMC Safari Van?
GeoRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Treenail
AF Newbie

Re: Radiator Drain Petcock, where is it?

The petcock is allegedly located on the passenger side below the large radiator hose. I think I touched it with my finger tips but I can NOT figure out how to drain it with the radiator bolted in place.

Good luck! I just pulled off the hose and made a mess
Treenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
GeoRandy
AF Regular

There is an indented circle where a petcock goes, right above the little drain tube that points down, on the passenger side. Just like all my old Safaris' except there seems to be a pressed in plug in it where a petcock should go. Only daylight above the little drain tube pointing down. No wings or 1/4" drive in the plug either. Is it possible that in the 2004's they did not put a drain at all? Owner manual says service after 150,000 miles, that's crazy but maybe why I've not done it before now.
GeoRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Wmurky
AF Newbie

i have a 2000 astro it never had one and neither did the replacement, get prestone back flush kit, use prestone cleaner and ditch the dex cool it beaks down when it gets old and turns into greasy globs and the engine starts to rust.
Wmurky is offline   Reply With Quote