Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
MrMrimus
AF Newbie

Exclamation 316 Engine Swap..318 or 320

Hi all ive been on the forum before but forgot login and email was inactive so new user name.
I currently have a 1997 Bmw 316i and i have the chance to get a 1994 320i engine was wondering how hard it will be and what parts are required for the swap. i doubt the engine will go straight in as im going from 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder Any info would be great
If its too much of a problem im wondering how easy the 318i engine goes in the 316i shell, as im lookin to upgrade slightly and easier. Im not lookin for anythin like a major project as i have another project already... (RB25DET s13 200sx)
MrMrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Broken-wrench
AF Newbie

Re: 316 Engine Swap..318 or 320

Converting from a 4 to a 6 cylinder? I think that if you look into other parts on the car, the radiator will be a different size. Your transmission, drive shaft and even possibly the differential will be all different. By different I mean to say SMALLER than what should be there to take the extra power & weight. Then lets look into the suspension. You WILL have to change shocks with springs to handle the extra weight. Would be cheaper to get a new 1 series! Or try to find an M42 engine. Twin cams with 140 BHP would be a better bet. Don't even know if they offered this engine in the UK.

Don't forget that ALL the electrical engine parts will not match up. You'll need an ECU to match what ever you put in it.

The new 1 Series is looking better all the time .
Broken-wrench is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series