Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Dirt Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #16
RoostRider
AF Newbie

Re: total begginer

keep in mind that a 2 stroke delivers about the same power as a 4 stroke TWICE it's size.... so while an XR 80 wont pull you around all that well... a CR 80 will get your carcass flying...

If you want cheap, the market is in the 2-strokers... they usualy sell for consdierably less than there 4-stroke counterparts (which are twice the displacement)... i.e.- for analagies sake lets say an '03 YZ125 might be selling for $2500, and an '03 YZF250 in similar shape might be going for $3500 or more....

of course you should take the deals where you find them, and you may run into someone selling a 4 stroker for less than it's equivilent in 2 stroke.... it's just less likely....

I would recomend an '90's 80cc 2-stroke MX'er (any brand).... you will outgrow it in a season or two, but then you will know what you want next and you can sell yours to get a new ride and be in a ride that fits you.... (more important than you might think)
RoostRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #17
v-16
AF Newbie

k, i found a bike that might work. its $700. a 1986 kawasaki kdx 200. i know thats probly way too big but i was thinking that back in the 80s two strokes wernt as powerful as now. the kid said it has a semi-new carbeurator, spokes, and its only been ridden 4-5 times annualy. if you know any thing that will help, please reply.
v-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:27 PM   #18
rootie
AF Newbie

i can tell you from experience a four stroke is better to learn on. the downside is engine maintenance is much more complicated than on a 2 stroke. i learned to ride on a 80cc 4stroke, then moved up to a 250 4stroke and now ride a 250 2stoke and it has more power than i can reasonably use on the trail. my advice is the 200 4stroke for learning. you'll be able to control it and you'll still be having fun on it next year.
rootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:35 PM   #19
rootie
AF Newbie

if you find a good deal on an older 2 stroke and the bike seems to be in good condition, keep in mind that for about $150 you can buy the top end kit from and have basically a brand new engine. assuming the transmission and clutch are in good working order, the only thing that robs your power are worn rings, piston, and/or cylinder. usually its just the rings, but the kit comes with piston and gaskets too. whatever you buy, invest the $50 for a shop manual. its worth every penny
rootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:14 PM   #20
cndctrdj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cndctrdj
shop manuals are great tools
94 cr500r - rediculously fast and fun
cndctrdj is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Dirt Bikes