Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
thelawnmower
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to thelawnmower
beginner car

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody could help me pick out a beginner car for me to restor. I want something that can be fast, a coupe, not a sedan, and something that I can try new things with. Preferribly a good amount of engine space so I can drop a big engine into it, and I think that about covers it. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. Any links would be greatly appreciated as well, Im not afraid to read like some people. I also intend on taking a welding class next spring, so by the time I can afford a car I'll hopefully be able to do bodywork and so on.
thelawnmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: beginner car

How old do you want to go? Big engine bay suggests 50s to me, but they can be expensive to resto.

Try a GM X-body (nova, Omega, ventura, etc), A-body (tempest, chevelle, cutlass GTO), or anything mid-size From the Ford camp; Cougar, T-bird, Mustang, Falcon. All of the above were offered at some point with the big block engines and all have good parts support.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I would also suggest the Camaro/Firebird duo.
The 67-70 pretty rare, but the second gen cars are worthwhile and affordable.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
thelawnmower
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to thelawnmower

I would LOVE to get a 50's car but I just cant afford it. Im only 17 so yeah I think you get the picture.

I was also thinking about a Camaro, that would be sweet but im not sure if i could do it. Plus Im one of those people who wants to be origional. Oh plus I was wondering how do these cars take corners? Like say like a late 60's Camaro. anyways thanks for the input guys.
thelawnmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Snow93
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Snow93

71 olds 442 with the police package is pretty nice.. relativly cheap to if your intrested in going to alberta
Snow93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:32 PM   #6
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Re: beginner car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawnmower
I would LOVE to get a 50's car but I just cant afford it. Im only 17 so yeah I think you get the picture.

I was also thinking about a Camaro, that would be sweet but im not sure if i could do it. Plus Im one of those people who wants to be origional. Oh plus I was wondering how do these cars take corners? Like say like a late 60's Camaro. anyways thanks for the input guys.
The second gen Camaros handled better and are cheaper to buy than the first gen.
They were a bit heavier, too, but, were exceptional performers, especially considering the time......in the disco era 70's when everyone wanted a big floppy Monte Carlo because it had "style".........the Camaro, (especially the Z-28) provided very good performance.

This was even more remarkable when you consider the Camaro had primitive engineering, a live axle on leaf springs, an old style steering box (no rack and pinion) and heavy all steel and iron components.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod&Custom
Which Monte's were floppy? Definitely not the 71-73! Those are beautiful. Oh, and I would go with a Mustang. They made millions, so the are plentiful, and repro parts are more plentiful than any car I know of. At the start you said custom with big motor, but then it was original. If you go original I say Mustang. If custom, I definitely say about a 50 Ford. A '49 or '50 Merc would be ideal, but that works too.
Rod&Custom is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars