Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 02:31 PM   #1
Dirk Diggler
AF Newbie

Question Is the Impreza reliable?

Hi, I am recently interested in a 93 or later 4wd Impreza with 4 cylinder engine without a turbo.
I was wondering if the 4wd system was reliable or does it need constant maintenance? How long does an engine go before rebuild, and the how does the suspension hold up.
I'm going to use it mostly for commuting since it snows a lot around here, and I will probably do some autoX during the summer. Thanks for any info.
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:06 PM   #2
ssjwizard
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ssjwizard Send a message via Yahoo to ssjwizard
heck yea they are reliable. the only work ive had done on mine that wasnt optional so far was a CV joint that went bad but it was my own fault cus i tore the boot. they hug the road like you wouldnt beleive. as far as a rebuild goes mine only has 85k miles so i dont know.
ssjwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
Yooks
AF Newbie

2.5 vs 2.0 turbo

I'm considering buying either a 2004 Impreza RS or a 2004 WRX. Does anyone out there think there will be a significant reliability difference between the two? I'm hopeing to get 200k out of the car.

I'm particularly sensitive to this as I just cracked the engine block on my 1997 Probe GT. That was supposed to be a reliable engine!

Thanks for the help.
Yooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
Diesel2NR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Diesel2NR Send a message via Yahoo to Diesel2NR
just don't run the hell out of it and any engine will last. Buying used, there's no way of truly knowing how the person(s) have treated it before you got it, but ya just gotta use common sense and move on. My 98 Legacy has 77k on it now. I can tell after driving it up to the point of my first oil change that it wasn't taken care of maintainence-wise. I'm not sure if the oil was always changed on time, but the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, plug wires...it all needed changed. I don't believe it was really driven hard though. If you have the money, go ahead with a new one. If not, look around a lot before buying. Don't just buy the first thing that catches you eye.

Edit: and yeah, I've found the engine and AWD to be very reliable. If you take care of it, it'll take care of you.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Is the Impreza reliable?

I have a '98 Impreza 2.5RS which is without a doubt the most reliable, trouble free car I have had.
Even after 5 years it still gives me excellent gas mileage and never a rattle nor a worry.
On Thursday night I will be saying a sad good-bye to my '98 Impreza RS though, it will be replaced with a 2003 Impreza 2.5RS, which I have no doubts about buying, considering the proven track record of my '98 Impreza.
freakray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 07:15 PM   #6
White Riot
AF Newbie

yes, just to clear things up
White Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 11:29 AM   #7
Mr Slim
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

Yep VERY. In a recent world wide test covering all car manufacturers, the Subaru came out in 3rd place, only beaten by Merc, and VW. So I recon the must be prity sound motors.

See ya, would'nt wona be ya.
Mr Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #8
skills
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to skills

i would say that the the subaru engine are very reliable. if someone is looking to get 200k+ out of one i would highly suggest not getting a turbo model though. as far as transmissions go i can say if you treat your car good as far as maintence and dont beat the crap out of your tranny it will last. i have close to 70,000 miles on my 2002 subaru impreza wrx and i have not incurred 1 problem with it so far besides the TSB that was recently released about the fuel smell in cold weather in the early 2002 wrx engine's. the previous owner of the car had 1 factory recall or a tsb on the clutch. the early 02s had a problem with clutch chatter in the cold mornings. if it any consalation for those looking at getting a wrx they are very good cars and with the 69xxx miles i have on my car i have very close to possibly over 400 hp and 380 ft.lbs. tq. (to the crank of course). i am still running on the factory clutch and still holding very well. i dont know if i am lucky or what but on the down side many wrx owners are having have had problems with their trannys blowing. many people say that its just the syncros are weak compared to the jdm counterparts and that is what many people are upgrading to (sti ra gearsets). i have not had any prolems though. this reply is only from my personal experiences from working/ owning my car and from talking/ helping other wrx owners with theirs cars. hope this helps.
ryan
skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:25 PM   #9
jackacc
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Is the Impreza reliable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills
i would say that the the subaru engine are very reliable. if someone is looking to get 200k+ out of one i would highly suggest not getting a turbo model though.
Aren't the newer turbos made to go the distance? I had an old Audi turbo years ago and once the turbo acted up... it wasnt worth keeping the car... granted.. that's audi...

But what problems can someone expect from high milage on a turbo wrx? I was considering buying one but I am in sales and I put on about 30,000 a year... I need a car that is going to last me... at least until the payments are up.
jackacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:06 PM   #10
EmmaJNation
AF Newbie

reliability

I've just had to take one of the heads of my '97 2.0 Sport (non-turbo) and there is no detectable wear in the bores, and that's at 107,000 miles. The only reason the head had to come off is some ham-fisted garage mechanic cross threaded a sparkplug
Apart from a set of discs on the front, that's all the non-routine attention it's needed. Oh, and exhaust front pipes - they have a built in heat shield that only lasts about 18 months before they start to rattle loose.
Emma
EmmaJNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:41 PM   #11
freakray
AF Modelrater

I've never had a problem with the heat shields on any of my Impreza's, neither on the '98 I just sold nor on my '03, and for that matter, nor on my wife's '01 Forester.
freakray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:32 PM   #12
Bas Carwash
AF Enthusiast

Impreza's are extremely reliable!!! I work at a Subaru-dealer (I'm no salesman). We got customers who kick the ass of their Impreza all the time and just nothing will brake down on that car. The only problems with Subaru's are seen by tuned versions. They blow up there engines very rarely. Of course when they're driving like a fool. Just like any Subaru: Reliable as hell!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:28 PM   #13
Scooby99
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Hi, I am recently interested in a 93 or later 4wd Impreza with 4 cylinder engine without a turbo.
I was wondering if the 4wd system was reliable or does it need constant maintenance? How long does an engine go before rebuild, and the how does the suspension hold up.
I'm going to use it mostly for commuting since it snows a lot around here, and I will probably do some autoX during the summer. Thanks for any info.
Yeah man they are reliable. I just bought me a 1999 Impreza AWD and I am loving it. It drives good, handles well and I am going to be performing it. Definitley buy one.
Scooby99 is offline   Reply With Quote