Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Cobra vs Supra
Mustang Cobra 13 46.43%
Toyota Supra 15 53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #31
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
I honestly could care less which car is faster 80-150mph. Maybe 80-120 at the most. But to buy a car that really only shines at 120mph+ or so... This car is no good at 1/4 mile track nor is this car going to be very amazing at a road track(not saying stangs are great there but niether are Supras). So this car has no home to show itself except on a dyno or doing 120mph+ on a highway. I don't hate Supras but explain to me where Supras belong? I'm just talking bout stock or very nearly stock Supras.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:05 PM   #32
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Re: Cobra vs Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang
I honestly could care less which car is faster 80-150mph. Maybe 80-120 at the most. But to buy a car that really only shines at 120mph+ or so... This car is no good at 1/4 mile track nor is this car going to be very amazing at a road track(not saying stangs are great there but niether are Supras). So this car has no home to show itself except on a dyno or doing 120mph+ on a highway. I don't hate Supras but explain to me where Supras belong? I'm just talking bout stock or very nearly stock Supras.
Hence "dyno queen" Give me an STi or EVO over both.

80-150 was just an example though, I just wanted to see any type of real timed comparison from a rolling start.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #33
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

there not very good 1/4 mile cars because most people can't get them to run the times that it can run. but c/d ran the supra in 93 at 13.1
call it what you want but thats fast as hell especially in 93. most people can only run it at 13.5. there's supra's at rediculous hp numbers and the engine is gold if you ask me. so were does it stand, at one of the best japanese cars ever made. and it can handle pretty dang good with a skidpad of .98g thats not everything about handling but it has a lot to do with it and thats a nice a$$ number.

idelaysionl were you talking to me when you made the beast comment?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:15 PM   #34
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

Ok, C&D is not reliable, everyone can agree magazine's are ridiculous. Also, I think it is very very rare when a Supra beats a C5 in any condition.
Ok, for skidpad, the figure I come up with for the Supra is .94, never heard that .98.
The ratios posted by the Mod are fairly close, though Supra has the edge in 3rd-6th... wait, the Cobra has more horse and more torque to make up for it.
My comment about no lag was to point out how straight up engine power (or supercharged power) is more consistant than Turbo power.
LS1 came up because I pointed out that although I NEVEr drove the Cobra I drive the LS1 which I'd asumed is fairly similar in it's performance, which I said is a beast, therefore the Cobra is a beast.
Higher Redline may sound good to you, but think... it takes that car LONGER to reach maximum power/torque, so the Cobra is already there. It [Supra] may have a higher top speed due to higher redlind/higher revs.
V8's are know to have good top end power, all those cylinders. And like I said, HP and TQ advantage goes to Mustang... let's just find two people with these cars and find out!
Old 04-14-2004, 03:39 PM   #35
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngvr4
idelaysionl were you talking to me when you made the beast comment?
No. And there are some 9 second street Supras out there that are only making ~700wph, so there not ALL dyno queens. Same goes for the Cobra, there are some really quick ones out there, but there are also a lot that can't seem to get out of the 12's reliably no matter how much power they have.

Quote:
Higher Redline may sound good to you, but think... it takes that car LONGER to reach maximum power/torque,
Not if it's geared right...
Old 04-14-2004, 04:59 PM   #36
GTStang
Stang Guy

As far as magazine times go.... usually find the best one anywhere and add .5 to it and that is about the average you will see from it daily driven by anybody type times. Which workson a 03 Cobra's best of 12.5XX hardtop 12.7XXX Vert gives you a low to mid 13 which I agree is average what you will see when driven by any Tom, Dick and Harry. And The same works for the Supra which is about a 13.8 or so. Those are the mean of the times you see when they up at the 1320.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:46 PM   #37
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

Re: Re: Cobra vs Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1082
Ok, C&D is not reliable, everyone can agree magazine's are ridiculous. Also, I think it is very very rare when a Supra beats a C5 in any condition
how often do you go to the track? i've seen lots of supra's run 13.5 the slowest i've seen is 13.8 and with intake one was doing 13.2 like 3 times in a row

you say add .5 sec but i see vr4's run faster times then the mag tested ALL the time at 13.5 all day long. i've seen c5 vett's run 13.5 lots of times also so its not so rare to see a supra beat a c5 vette. my dad has a c5 vette that i drive at least once a week. and i've seen supra's in action and they are highway monsters. yes the cobra has more hp but it has aero, gearing and weight against it. if you ask me that kinda evens things out. personally i think it would be a very good race.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:27 PM   #38
GTStang
Stang Guy

Re: Re: Re: Cobra vs Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngvr4
how often do you go to the track? i've seen lots of supra's run 13.5 the slowest i've seen is 13.8 and with intake one was doing 13.2 like 3 times in a row

you say add .5 sec but i see vr4's run faster times then the mag tested ALL the time at 13.5 all day long. i've seen c5 vett's run 13.5 lots of times also so its not so rare to see a supra beat a c5 vette. my dad has a c5 vette that i drive at least once a week. and i've seen supra's in action and they are highway monsters. yes the cobra has more hp but it has aero, gearing and weight against it. if you ask me that kinda evens things out. personally i think it would be a very good race.
I didn't say take any Mag tested time. I said take the best time any Magazine had gotten and add .5.

Old 04-14-2004, 09:40 PM   #39
GDK
AF Newbie

The fact that supras cant drag race is silly. Paul Efantis' Supra has a full interior and runs 8.20s-8.40s and traps in the 170's on radial tires, I think thats faster than any street Mustang on radials that I've heard of.

This is kind of off topic, just puttn it out there.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:58 PM   #40
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Man, I really feel like this is Supra propoganda... we could have one heated debate on Supra vs. LS1, in fact, there was one and general consensus was that it is a driver's race, which I can accept, but NOW the Supra can hang with 03 Cobra's, C5 Vettes... next will be Z06's and 911's. If Supra can roll like that it should KILL an LS1 but we all know it doesn't.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:47 PM   #41
GTStang
Stang Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK
The fact that supras cant drag race is silly. Paul Efantis' Supra has a full interior and runs 8.20s-8.40s and traps in the 170's on radial tires, I think thats faster than any street Mustang on radials that I've heard of.

This is kind of off topic, just puttn it out there.
Anything can be made to do anything with enough money and time.
But just so you know Paul Enfanti's Supra runs 8.82 at 160 mph those are his record times he is usually slower.

Fastest Street Radial Mustang 8.40 times are usually 8.5. The supras class rules allow for nitrous use with FI. The Mustangs is Nitrous or FI only. So now you have heard of a Mustang that is faster. And there are many that run 8.5-8.6's allong with this one.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:58 PM   #42
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

I can't believe I'm supporting a Mustang here, but it's American, gotta do it
Old 04-14-2004, 11:02 PM   #43
GTStang
Stang Guy

Re: Re: Cobra vs Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1082
I can't believe I'm supporting a Mustang here, but it's American, gotta do it
It hurts ya deep inside doesn't it......

If it makes you feel better I miss GM making F-bodies.... I mean everyone needs there Darth Vader.... and Honda's are barely a well trained Storm Trooper. LoL

Old 04-14-2004, 11:16 PM   #44
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Don't get me wrong... the Mustang is like that sibling you hate but at the same time would defend to the letter if anyone on the outside messed with 'em, you know. And I do think the 03+ Cobra was a nice touch, hell, I would drive one, it's American at its finest, and I KNOW it can beat a Supra. And w/o the F-body who'm I gonna root for
Old 04-14-2004, 11:57 PM   #45
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
For any of you who are confused I would just like to take a moment to point out that power and torque isn't anything without the proper gearing. And also, don't make me have to resort to a (rough) explaination of gearing using a 10speed peddle bike as an example.

Although there are many other factors involved when pushing your car into the deep triple digits, gearing could possibly be thought of as the most important. Proper gearing setups can keep you right in your capable powerband when accelerating (which is right where you want to be). Higher peak hp at higher rpm is also an added bonus to top end. (its all about torque multiplication)

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons