Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 11:44 AM   #1
HeadBanger
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

I just bought a Bravada and have to give it a thumbs up! Test drove the others, Jeep, Jimmy, etc, and the Bravadas ride was exceptional.

Would like to hear anyone elses comments about this SUV.

thanks!!

95 Admiral Blue Coupe
Konig Monsoons,
Wet Okoles
rbarbour@sgi.net
South Park, PA
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...097&Sequence=0

HeadBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 06:19 PM   #2
crash
AF Newbie

My wife had one, she liked it very much. Traded it in at about 130,000 miles and it still ran strong!
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 12:37 PM   #3
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
Hey Head Banger,

I believe the Bravada is the same product as the Jimmy, just has different packaging . . .

Am I wrong?
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 07:58 PM   #4
"Intrigued"
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Not good news re Bravada we have

:cry: :help:

Well - bought a new Bravada (loaded) 2 1/2 yrs ago. That makes it a '99.

After 2 years of executive, on-road, 30-mile max trips by an over 50 owner with no tickets and a nice life, here's what the thing has become:

Driver and passenger door hinges rusted. Driver's rusted through and door fell an inch upon opening. Replaced just at end of warranty (whewww!)

For the last 2 months, a front end rubbing sound persists every time car is moving forward (any speed). Dealer merely says it sounds like the AC belt - don't worry about it. (right..)

It has a power sunroof (factory) - for 3 months when car moves forward either up or down any incline, a loud rush of water INSIDE the FRONT RIGHT OF THE CAR somewhere under the hood is heard. Dealer said 'bring it in....do you park under a tree?..Well it's the leaves that fall from the tree blocking the tubes that drain water from the channels in the power roof -- they're all blocked with leaves"...... So we brought it in.

You guessed it...they couldn't find ANY evidence of any leaves plugging the thin tubes that drain the power roof....and they CANNOT LOCATE the water that causes the rushing sound.

You just can't believe that sound of gurgling..it is loud enough to be heard over the radio (when played at a 50-yr old's preferred volume)
"Intrigued" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 03:50 AM   #5
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
What I wantto know is What is better??? Jimmy, Bravada or Blazer???
Ssom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:08 PM   #6
J_Boydstun
AF Newbie

My wife has a 96 with 132k
*Replaced the tranny @ 51K (out of warranty 1k miles)
*I have replaced 3....... yes 3 altenators since new. The dealer replaced the first one under warranty so that's a total of 4. (thanks to lifetime warranty, 2 were covered)
*The 4.3 has been solid with no internal problems. Runs good. I like the motor!
*The internal radiator cooler inside the radiator busted and contaminated the antifreeze. Was repaired at 60K and no more coolant problems.
*Both front visors broke at the mounts. The vanity mirror fell off well before that.
*The drivers door has always has wind noise. Dealer could not find problem.
* Master Cylinder replaced at 70K

I now suspect the transfer case is going south fast. It makes a repeated clunk clunk clunk when starting out in drive. (sounds like a chain slipping on cog) not the CV joints. Have to EEEEASE on the gas to prevent symptom. ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS?:apuke:

If I were to do it again, NO ALL WHEEL DRIVE, NEVER AGAIN.
IMHO, a S***load of money for a mediocre vehicle.

Ok, I'll say it once. I wish I had bought a Toyota or something else built a little more sound than the GM crackerbox SUV's. Man, that hurts to say.

I like the Envoys , but will it be another money pit?
J_Boydstun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:17 AM   #7
wannabexterra
AF Newbie

I've had my Bravada now for about a year, with no problems. It's a '99 Platinum Edition, (whatever the hell that means) The ride is nice, power is aplenty, but just like all other SUV's the mileage sucks. Shortly after I bought it, I put a 9in long conical K&N filter on (had to jerk the factory airbox) after that I noticed an improvement in take-off, mileage, and power when passing. Until I loaded it with 30in Dueler A/T's, then I noticed my mileage drop even further. So what thoguh, they look really sweet.

As for any TC noises, I've read that there was a service bulliten for the Bravada's TC where a little too much silicon was used to seal the halves and that can make certain noises.
wannabexterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 09:03 PM   #8
Daubs
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

We just got a 1997 bravada w/73K miles on it. I have to say it handles amazing on snow it grabs and doesn't let go and that is with tires that need to be replaced (has original michilen tires on it). I think the Bravada has a much more plush ride than the blazer or the jimmy (softer spring rates).

As for what goe's wrong. As it turns out GM had a problem with these transmissions. There is a valve/piston that rides in a aluminum bore after awhile the bore becomes warn trips the check engine light with an 1870 code Trans slipage. The valve body has to be re-sleeved with a steel sleeve, we got ours a grand cheeper than blue book because because of this and it took $400 to fix it at the local trans shop. The mechanic said he's done like 20 fo these on Blazers, jimmys, Bravadas all with the same problem. I also had a trans cooler put on for towing a boat.

If you want to tow heavy trailers you may need to get a set of www.airliftcompany.com air bags. I just put a set on my GMC sonoma with the sport suspension package they lift up to 1500lbs and they work great! I got them at www.centuryperformance.com/airlift/. My uncle had a 98 Bravada that trailered with the bumper hanging low (packed it like the beverly hill billys) it would have been a good idea to add a set of air bags to level it back out.

I think I'm going to put www.redlineoil.com in the differentials and the transfer case just for added protection plus it does give you better fuel economy. Change the fuel filter. Flush and fill the radiator + change the thermostat while I have it drained.

Might add a cold air intake. The best cold air intake I've seen is from Airaid, found the best deal at http://www.macromotive.com/shopping/...225.4570#Notes .

All in all I think the Bravada is a good truck, and like anything if you take care of it it will last a long time.

Daubs
Daubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:31 PM   #9
GM_man
AF Newbie

i like them
GM_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
djglmg
AF Newbie

my 1996 bravada

96 gold edition bravada owner here hello

has had vehicle since 1997- was demo - 1996 model-\since i have had it everything that can go wrong has gone wrong-
and most of the time the lifetime warrenty by gm goodwrench conveniently is not covered-

the ignition locked up- replaced out of my pocket
the gear shift locked up on me and wouldnt move-replaced out of my pocket(bad solenoid)

HERES THE CLENCHER! ---i HAVE BEEN THROUGH 4 ALTERNATORS-
all AC DELCO- installed at GM dealerships-they wont use anything else they say.

I believe that they are using the wrong ampage- they keep putting in 100 Amp alternators in- but they keep dying-
2 of the alternators i have had to pay for- becuase of the warrenty not being respected- so they say!

Transmission has been replaced at 55k -
Brakes get eaten up- finally had to get lifetime brakes from Merchants auto- no more gm dealing with brakes-

ERG Valves and oxygen sensors have been blown and had to been replaced out of my pocket- enough to cover about 15 new vehicles worth.

Multiple serpentine belts have had to be replaced several times-
AC compressor had to be replaced last year out of my pocket over $1,000.00

the bravada has killed multiple batteries both with the alternators screwing up and by itself.
head gasket once- been replaced out of my own pocket.

one ball joint replacement
and shocks/struts replacements

and this is all in 6 years since i have had this vehicle- the 1996 bravada is a death trap- DONT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
djglmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:13 AM   #11
rdrunner1979
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to rdrunner1979
Re: Does anyone have one??

My roommate has a 94 Bravada, and her step-dad has a 94 Bravada also. His alternator went bad and the dealership put in a acdelco 100 amp alternator in and it went bad after a couple of months, he had the dealership put in another one and its been working fine in his truck, for about a year now. But also half his power options haven't worked on it since he bought it (the power seats, rear defrost, cig ligher, fog lights, interior light).
When my roommate alternator went back I said forget it and I got her a aftermarket 220 amp alternator. It was a royal pain in the a$$ to get in but have had no problems with it. She also has a 6 bar LED under body light kit, 3 15" neons, 2 10" neons, 4 15" round neons, and 2 1500 watts amps drawing power.
So my suggestion with the messed up acdelco alternators. Forget them, go get the bigger and better. The alternator won't have to work so hard and burn its self out.
On a side note, I love my roommates 94 Bravada I'm thinking about buying one for the winter.
RdRunner
rdrunner1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:07 AM   #12
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Not good news re Bravada we have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigued
:cry: :help:

Well - bought a new Bravada (loaded) 2 1/2 yrs ago. That makes it a '99.

After 2 years of executive, on-road, 30-mile max trips by an over 50 owner with no tickets and a nice life, here's what the thing has become:

Driver and passenger door hinges rusted. Driver's rusted through and door fell an inch upon opening. Replaced just at end of warranty (whewww!)

For the last 2 months, a front end rubbing sound persists every time car is moving forward (any speed). Dealer merely says it sounds like the AC belt - don't worry about it. (right..)

It has a power sunroof (factory) - for 3 months when car moves forward either up or down any incline, a loud rush of water INSIDE the FRONT RIGHT OF THE CAR somewhere under the hood is heard. Dealer said 'bring it in....do you park under a tree?..Well it's the leaves that fall from the tree blocking the tubes that drain water from the channels in the power roof -- they're all blocked with leaves"...... So we brought it in.

You guessed it...they couldn't find ANY evidence of any leaves plugging the thin tubes that drain the power roof....and they CANNOT LOCATE the water that causes the rushing sound.

You just can't believe that sound of gurgling..it is loud enough to be heard over the radio (when played at a 50-yr old's preferred volume)
Ok, as far as the rushing water, major major problem... It's your antifreeze. 96 and up uses dexcool... They say it last 100k but it's bs (hence the class action suit against GM) Your dexcool is gelled... Immediately get a full acid flush on your cooling system and get it replaced by normal green stuff. It MUST be completely flushed (including the water jackets) because if green meets dexcool it will just clog and gel immediately)

Front rubbing? Can you be more specific? AC belt??? The thing only has 1 serpintine belt! Have you replaced the serpentine belt?

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:09 AM   #13
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Does anyone have one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss1O6GTi
What I wantto know is What is better??? Jimmy, Bravada or Blazer???
Really none of them are better than the other... Blazer and Jimmy are identicle except for the headlights...(some like the Jimmy headlight setup better) The only thing the Bravada has is AWD in place of 4x4... Same body's, same engines, same suspension, etc etc

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada