Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
pmhars
AF Newbie

Tips for changing alternator in a 1989 Accord Lx w/carb

Hello, I am looking for tips for changing alternator in a 1989 Accord Lx w/carb. I believe the mfg model type is CA563K.

Some of the information on the net is saying the axial has to be removed and/or the engine mounts need to be loosened or removed.

Looking for a heads-up prior to changing the alternator. Thanks!

pmhars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Tips for changing alternator in a 1989 Accord Lx w/carb

That's interesting, I had a 1989 accord lx as my first car and the alternator did fail while I had it. It had the A20A1 engine (carbuerated) and replacing the alternator was more of a pain in the ass than I expected. However, I didn't have to touch the motor mounts to do the job.
Here's how I did it; I removed the air filter box, then took the carburetor off. Make sure you get some tape and label every single vacuum line connected to the carb before disconnecting them, there are a lot of them and if you don't hook them back up properly, the engine won't run.
With the airbox and carb removed it will be somewhat easier to get to the alternator. Put a mark (use some kind of permanent marker that will actually make a visible mark) where the tensioner pulley is so you know where it needs to be. Loosen the tensioner pulley and remove the belt. While you have the belt out, check it for cracks, shredding, and general wear and tear to see if you need a new alternator belt. Bolt on your new alternator and find a friend willing to do you a favor because resetting setting the tensioner pulley the way I did was a two man job. Get the belt wrapped around every pulley it needs to be wrapped around, and with a pry bar, pull the tensioner to the mark you made earlier. When it's at that Mark, bolt it in place.
That should do it, if you have any problems post back, and include pics if you can. Good luck.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #3
Crvett69
AF Moderator

with the mounts in the way not sure you can work it all the way to the pass side to get it out. i have done a couple and i do the axle removal method. here is a video on removing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DApsJM8J-C8
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Pulling the axle is one way to do it. I chose to go in through the top so I could give the carburetor a thorough cleaning more easily while I was at it. It was a long time ago that did mine, but I don't remember removing any motor mounts to get to the alternator. I do remember it being a pain in the ass. Both taking out the old one and putting in the new one.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid