Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 01:59 PM   #1
Chi-town Chick
AF Newbie

Unhappy clicking noises

while i am driving i hear the turning signals or the hazards clicking somewhere in the middle near the radio. i have a 99 grand am se and i was wondering if anyone else is having the same problems or if u could tell me what it is or if it is something to be concerned about:frog:

Last edited by Chi-town Chick; 01-12-2002 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:47 AM   #2
alexxx00693
AF Newbie

does yor veh.has any problem?
Old 02-06-2002, 06:49 PM   #3
andreww
AF Newbie

annoying click

I had the same problem... replaced multi function switch part num 22602262 (turn signal) cost me $213US at the dealer

-apw
Old 02-08-2002, 12:52 PM   #4
aacsman
AF Newbie

clicking noises

Hi there,
we have this exact same problem and have been searching for a fix. Thats the whole reason we came on automotiveforum.com, to look for answers. This started to happen after we got an amp installed into the car. We are getting it looked at next week, we thought it was the actual hazard relay but we bought a new one and it still didnt work. Anyway if you have found something that fixes it, please let me know. And if you had any work done behind your stereo, that could have caused the problem, at least thats my theory.
I am suprised that I found your post, it seems that no one knows about this hazard light clicking noises, we have even called the pontiac dealer mechanics. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2002, 06:41 AM   #5
jimdor
AF Newbie

same problem and more

WE have the '99 SE and are having the same problem. Our gas gauge is also gone completely out of whack, bouncing all over. I was trying to figure out if this was related electrically some how? Has anyone else had this?
Old 12-17-2002, 03:38 PM   #6
Timo
AF Newbie

I had the same problem on my 99 GT. Three things to check:

1. Turn signal relay. $10 (Located in relay box under hood)
2. Hazard switch. $25-$30 (above stereo)
3. Multifunction switch. (Consist of turn signal and wiper levers)

I had to replace the multi switch. A local dealer qouted me around $200. Found the part at a junkyard where the let you pull the part yourself and paid $30.
This part can be found in late model Old's Alero, Cutlass, and Intrigue as well as Chevy Malibue's.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:06 AM   #7
blackfurbie
AF Newbie

i recently put a car starter in my car and changed the stereo,now i'm getting that clicking noise too it seems to come on after the turn signal has canceled, it just keeps tickin .....
have u had any luck with yours
Old 12-19-2003, 04:59 PM   #8
zabut
AF Newbie

Re: clicking noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Chick
while i am driving i hear the turning signals or the hazards clicking somewhere in the middle near the radio. i have a 99 grand am se and i was wondering if anyone else is having the same problems or if u could tell me what it is or if it is something to be concerned about:frog:
I thought it was the switch in my car as well. But it turns out the fix is really simple. It is actually the turn indicator/lights mechanism around the steering wheel. (It is a somewhat large unit). Simply detatch it, you need to get the *special* star screwdriver (or an allen key might work) to open it up, but GM uses some crappy grease in there which I think eroded the contacts somehow, and mixed in with the grease making a faulty contact. I didn't believe it either, until i wiped up the grease, cleaned it with rubbing alchohol, and reinstalled it. Worked like a charm for an easy 20 minutes work. Sure beats the $150+ GM will charge you for a new unit. Also, the noise is coming from the hazard light switch (thats where the relay is), and would lead you to belive that is where the problem is (I tried to replace that unit to no avail), but the problem is actually around the steering wheel. BTW, I have a 2000 GrandAM SE.

Good luck!

Marc
Old 01-30-2004, 12:37 PM   #9
jerzeygrl
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jerzeygrl Send a message via Yahoo to jerzeygrl

I also have had that problem with a 2000 Grand Am Se...the box above the radio kept clicking when the turnsignals weren't on...the multifunction switch was replaced under warranty and the prob ceased for a year, but now that the warranty is over, it is doing it again. Best bet is to call junkyards or have someone put it in...part is not expensive, around $25-$35 but labor is ridiculous and you know how dealerships overcharge for everything. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
jerzeygrl
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jerzeygrl Send a message via Yahoo to jerzeygrl

oh, and the car starter would have nothing to do with it, because I had an auto starter put in my car and the components do not cross with the turn signal and switch components...I believe that the hazard switch had a recall from pontiac though...better check that out
Old 01-30-2004, 05:50 PM   #11
C_Sephiroth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to C_Sephiroth

Well if you didn't add grease to The unit you cleaned it wont last long. There will be to much friction and cause heat and cause premature failure, GM added the grease for a reason.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #12
blackfurbie
AF Newbie

Question Re: Re: clicking noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabut
I thought it was the switch in my car as well. But it turns out the fix is really simple. It is actually the turn indicator/lights mechanism around the steering wheel. (It is a somewhat large unit). Simply detatch it, you need to get the *special* star screwdriver (or an allen key might work) to open it up, but GM uses some crappy grease in there which I think eroded the contacts somehow, and mixed in with the grease making a faulty contact. I didn't believe it either, until i wiped up the grease, cleaned it with rubbing alchohol, and reinstalled it. Worked like a charm for an easy 20 minutes work. Sure beats the $150+ GM will charge you for a new unit. Also, the noise is coming from the hazard light switch (thats where the relay is), and would lead you to belive that is where the problem is (I tried to replace that unit to no avail), but the problem is actually around the steering wheel. BTW, I have a 2000 GrandAM SE.

Good luck!

Marc
just a quick queston how long ago did you remove the grease and did u have any problems after?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:06 PM   #13
tartis
AF Newbie

I had the same problem on my 2002 Grand AM v6 with the clicking noise. I just went out and bought a multifunction switch for $131.00 US and installed the unit in under 45 minutes. Fixed the problem. I found these online for $98, but I could not take the sound anymore. The part number that I purchased is 2267-6853. You will also need a Torx T-25 to remove the 3 screws in the steering column trim, and a Torx T-25 to remove the Multifunction Switch. Be careful of the airbag, and observe the small metal blinker reset button on the front of the old unit to see how it goes back on. You must depress this small metal button when installing the new switch, or you may damage the unit. The metal button on the switch rubs against a plate that releasese your blinker when turning.

Last edited by tartis; 03-30-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
heather4671
AF Newbie

there's been a recall........I got the letter a week ago. I think it's for 99-01, not certain though. Check into it. Also for anyone that had to pay for that problem out of pocket you can send the reciept in and get reimbursed.

Heather
Old 04-02-2004, 08:30 AM   #15
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Markgase2000

there was a recall on those switches so take your recipts to any pont/gm dealer and they WILL REIMBERSE you for the cost.