Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
wildcat2k8
AF Newbie

Back Seat design

OK, I took my backseats out to cut down on weight. But I dont want just bare metal so I want to make a clean design from fabric covered wood. I hate to use the example but in the fast and the furious "Brian" has no backseats just NOS bottles, thats what I want. I've seen this done before, anybody done this? Any Ideas?
wildcat2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Tensecondnerd
AF Newbie

Re: Back Seat design

i used some MDF panels from home depot, it's cheap and easier to work with than plywood. i took some poster paper to make a template of how i wanted the panels cut, then transfered the teplate onto the mdf. once everything was square, i sank it down with some sheetmetal screws and covered the whole thing with fabric. a friend of mine gave me the idea, he put a dvd player under his with an access panel.
Tensecondnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
wildcat2k8
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Back Seat design

Thanks, finally a reply. Do you have a pic of it? If you get one send it to my email.
wildcat2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
2AZN4U
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Back Seat design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensecondnerd
i used some MDF panels from home depot, it's cheap and easier to work with than plywood. i took some poster paper to make a template of how i wanted the panels cut, then transfered the teplate onto the mdf. once everything was square, i sank it down with some sheetmetal screws and covered the whole thing with fabric. a friend of mine gave me the idea, he put a dvd player under his with an access panel.

Now I think you should also use some kind of mat or sound dampening material underneath the MDF wood, because when I had my celica hatch, I made a custom floor board for the hatch for my subs. I got a lot of road noise as I was driving it. I got rid of the car before I added a mat underneth but I feel you might want to do it before you bolt everything down.

As for pictures, ya shouldn't need them. Like Tense said, make a construction paper cutout of the floor on how you want it, then trace it to the MDF wood and cut. You could even do it in sections if you don't want it flat and screw it all together then bondo it later to reinforce it and carpet it.
2AZN4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Tensecondnerd
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Back Seat design

good call on the sound material, i haven't gotten my civic hatch on the road yet to see if there's any road noise

i'm still workin on pics, i have a bunch of half done projects on the car including the back seat, while in the middle of puting a stage 1 racing clutch in, but that's a whole different post
Tensecondnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
2AZN4U
AF Newbie

Re: Back Seat design

Trust me, its a good thing to do before you bolt things in. I am planning on a complete fiberglass interior on my MR2 but not sure if I will keep the car or not. So the project is kinda on a hold until I decide if I am selling it or keeping it. Know anyone wanting a 91 MR2 w/ wide bodykit? lol
2AZN4U is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General