Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
nick2840
AF Newbie

Exclamation Help.....

If my master switch is broken should my windows still go up or down with the other switches. Because they are not.
nick2840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: Help.....

Welcome to AF!!

They should work individually unless the lock is in the ON position which disables the other window controls. You shouldn't have too much problem removing the switch to replace it with another.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Well, not necessarily......you don't give the year....

How did you determine the master switch is bad?

It's possible, the master switch is ok, and the other 3 switches are ok.....yet the windows don't work.....the ground for all four wondows, goes through the Master switch......if the ground wire is open from the master sw(could be broken in the wire loom between the driver's door and the "A" pilar), none of the windows work.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
nick2840
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Help.....

It is a 97 Buick regal. At times I can put it up or down but the other switch is not working at all. I'm not tech savey with cars. So don't know much.but I can take out the master switch and wigle the wires and its good till it gets jard again. Just really hot with no ac or window. Lol
nick2840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

As GTP Dad stated, it's possible the lockout switch is bad and not providing power to the other 3 switches...this can be checked by removing the rf switch and gounding a test light and probing the dk blue wire(terminal "B").....should have power with key "on".....if no, press the lockout button on the master again to see if you have power.....

If you don't, then pull master switch out and backprobe the yellow wire(terminal"G") for power......also check the black wire, terminal "B" on the master switch harness for a good ground.......If you have power and ground at those terminals, and can read a wiring diagram:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...96b43f8036fbef

Then with two jumper wires, and the master switch removed from the two harnesses, then you jumper one wire from terminal "B" ground, and the other to terminal "G" power, you can attach the two jumpers to any two motor circuits to make the window move....for example, jumper terminal "G"(C1) to terminal "D"(C1), and terminal "B"(C1) to terminal terminal "E"(C1).....this will make the driver's side window go down....reverse the leads, and it will go up.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote