Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to doberman_52
58 Gmc W/ Lsd?

Does anyone know wether or not a 58 GMC Model 150 had LSD at all? There is no tag on it nor can I take it apart right now even though it has no engine in it yet (currently rebuilding) and I need to get about a 3.08 ring and pinion gears.
Thanks

Cory
doberman_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 58 Gmc W/ Lsd?

IMO locate a more modern rear axle and swap it in. There are simply millions of GM 10 and 12 bolt rear ends. They will accept an LSD carrier if they do not have one already. Chances are, though you can locate an LSD unit with the ratio you want.

Find one with the same width as stock and the gears you want. Have a decent driveline shop weld on two leaf spring pads at the right spot and bolt it in. Likely you will get better brakes than the 1958 stuff, too!
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

One thing though, it's my grandpa's truck, I am doing some of the work onit, he doesn't want to spend a whole lot on it, he will need a new brake system, motor mounts, ring & pinnion (just replacing these for now, i just want to know wether it hads lsd or not), tires, and a few other miscelaneous items. the body has been siting in a field for around 6 years and is in awesome shape for the south dakota weather, the motor and trans have been spread out between a few barns for about six years too. I am rebuilding the motor for school (senior project) so he wants to get it running decent for now, maybe turn it into a restorod later when i go to college, but there still is a lot of work to be done. It would be a good idea to upgrade the axels, suspension, and drivetrain, but I will probably do that later. for the moment he wants it to be fairly inexpensive (under 10k - so far so good) also what would be a good cam shaft to put in it, the original one has been worn down severly, would it be an ok idea to go a full racing cam with a fairly stoc setup or would i want to go with one similar to the orriginal, the block is a 336 being bored over .030

Cory
Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

If you put it that way........... almost certainly it does not have an LSD. You can take take the diff cover off and take a look, or, have someone hold the pinion shaft while you turn one rear wheel. If the other wheel spins in the opposite direction pretty easily, its an open diff. If both rear wheels want to turn in the same direction its an LSD.

LSD and open diffs usually use the same ring and pinion, so it's presence will not affect the ring and pinion choice.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Planing on doing that, the only thing is that the body is 50 miles away. I need to go down soon to figure out what model of differential it is, there are three. I hope to do that at the same time.
Thanks

Cory

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars