Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
Mr Rooster
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mr Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Rooster
Wink Transmission makes a loud whine.

I have a 1990 Bronco 302, manual, 96,000, which I just bought 3 days ago. Two things I have noticed is that when I am cruisiing around at any speed and take my foot off of the gas I hear a loud whine (could be more like a roar depending on who you ask). The noise gets louder the faster I go (4th and 5th gear are the loudest) when the gas pedal is released. I expect the smart butts to reply first stating that this is what happens when the engine is running, haha, I'll save you the time. When I am cruising and put it in neutral, the roar/whine goes away. There is also a metallic buring odor coming from around transmission and toward the back area when parked (after being ran of course). I don't see anthing leaking from the transmission or the rear axle. Has anyone dealt with this before. Does this sound like a transmission problem? All of my friends have autos and haven't had this problem, but they have made comments about mine. Please help. If this is an issue you've dealt with; do you have any ideas about how much it could cost to fix.

Thank you for any help.
Mr Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
Mines69Olds
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Mines69Olds
Hey man the first thing you should do is check the trans fluid.(I'd just change it) Go buy yourself some new fluid and when the old comes out check it to see the difference in color. My friend had an 81 buick that kind of had the same problem and his fluid was burnt to hell and he lost all but reverse... Hope it turns out well for you.
Mines69Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
automobilefreek
AF Newbie

It's definitly the tranny oil. Theres probably none or just sludge. I had the same problem with a small chevy in my boat, It sounded whiny like a whistle and suddenly stalled like a rope caught in the prop. We ended up idling back to the dock. lol
automobilefreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
J-Roc
AF Newbie

Re: Transmission makes a loud whine.

Make sure you didnt fry that rear 8.8 diff. Like the others said, check your trans oil level. Smell the end of the stick to make sure the fluid is not burnt.
J-Roc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco