Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Let's get Technical! Discussion for hardcore in-depth motor heads!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 01:59 AM   #1
18c5sol94
AF Regular

radiator problem in hybrid

hey whats up everyone i just got a type 4 jdm engine droped into my car. the problem is that the radiator keeps over heating. it is still the stock one from the d series it had prior. my question is this. what type of radiator can i use that won't over heat and can cool that engine down. i don't want an after market at the momment.
18c5sol94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #2
joecheez
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to joecheez Send a message via Yahoo to joecheez
Re: radiator problem in hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18c5sol94
hey whats up everyone i just got a type 4 jdm engine droped into my car. the problem is that the radiator keeps over heating. it is still the stock one from the d series it had prior. my question is this. what type of radiator can i use that won't over heat and can cool that engine down. i don't want an after market at the momment.

What is a type 4 jdm engine? I am no forum master but can we ask that you add a signature so we get more info then just in your short description.

I have had similar problems when I went from an F22 Accord motor to a H22 now H23 DOHC vtec motor still using the Accord radiator. Fact is Hondas cool well if the system is running right but I found two main problems after 2 years of frustration with mine before I rebuilt it.

1. It needed a head gasket, see item A. for H22A motors at least.

2. The guys who did the swap put the top hose OVER the a/c lines instead of under, it was badly squeezed flat over a full 180 degree bend, little did I know how important good flow was to an already terrible head gasket.

A. Head gasket, if told anything to every prelude or hybrid H22A cars with the H22A DOHC VTEC motor I would say replace the head gasket with a high performance thick race gasket.

Side note it will also burn oil for ever in vtec rpms just deal with it.
Green 95 Accord coupe with a 95 Prelude motor(2/10/01); 2 motor builds later(first 12.5-1 the rings did not seat), it is now a 2.286?(.089 monster bore and sleeved) DOHC VTEC with 9.2-1 JE pistons ready for a turbo T3/4. Cam gears, skunk2 stage 1 cams, crower rods, titanium head parts with a 3 angle valve job and extra thick head gasket.
AEM CAI, 421 DCSports header, Stillen FPR, trunk battery, H&R, tokico illuminas, front/back camber kits, & 215R16 FS GTS.
joecheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
18c5sol94
AF Regular

sorry i accidentallly hit 4 instead of r it is a type r 2000 jdm
Old 02-09-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
zebra123
AF Newbie

Re: radiator problem in hybrid

Did you refill w/correct coolant mix ? Is your thermostat reinstalled correctly, and working ? Your radiator hoses routed (and not kinked) properly ? Your water pump working ? Is your electric fan cycling on ? How many times you overheated it ? Your engine is at risk. What do you mean by the 'radiator overheated' ? Is a temperature gage telling you that its running too hot or what... ?
If you open 'er up hot (remove thte radiator cap), it'll indeed blow like a geyser (all over, including your face, etc, its not fun...) but this is not necessarily an 'overheat' condition but the fact the system is under pressure and temperature...
How long (operation time and conditions) untill it 'overheats' ?
Peace,
Z
zebra123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:30 PM   #5
18c5sol94
AF Regular

thanks guys for all your help i ended up dropping a 98 civic radiator everything has been cool. i think once my wallet recovers i will get a after market.