Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: which is better
syline 40 44.94%
ferrari 49 55.06%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 10:54 PM   #91
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
Quote:
Originally posted by Gonthrax

Or do you want your back tires to light up, kick the rear end out, and send you spinning into a tree and wrapping your brand new Farrari around it? Now if any of you out there are professional racecar drivers, disreguard this because I'm sure you could handle it, but I am not a racecar driver, I'm sure that at some point in my life I will missjudge how much gas to give and put myself in that same situation.

[list=1][*]This post is to inquiry/clarify not to insult[*]I don't really know anbody or any car that can get wheelspin doing 140 km/h[*]Snowboarder may want to chat with you aobut the correct spelling of "Ferrari"[*]Since you are arguing AWD, you could have introduced conditions, had this been a wet surface, AWD = Live[/list=1]

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Old 04-20-2002, 06:34 PM   #92
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Send a message via AIM to Gonthrax
Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche

[list=1][*]This post is to inquiry/clarify not to insult[*]I don't really know anbody or any car that can get wheelspin doing 140 km/h[*]Snowboarder may want to chat with you aobut the correct spelling of "Ferrari"[*]Since you are arguing AWD, you could have introduced conditions, had this been a wet surface, AWD = Live[/list=1]
1: I understand

2: I was just using that as a number for ease of explination, but if you were holding a curve hard enough and you punched the gas your back end would step out.

3: Type O's bro, it's what I get for stairing at a computer screen all day at work

4: Quite true, AWD does rule the road if it's wet, or any other kind of inclement (sp?) condition. But I had already typed a small book so I decided to leave it out
Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #04)

Quote:
Originally posted by taranaki
Postcounts - Phoey....it's not how often you speak,it's whether you actually say anything that matters.

Neishlin Motors
Soon to be my best friend
Old 04-23-2002, 03:03 PM   #93
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by moe182
Well all these numbers/facts are off of Supercars.net.......
But the thing i think you're missing (as most people do) is that a car is not JUST about performence. Its the same reason why the 360 beats out the 911 turbo in tests, (it was either C&D or MT i dont remember) even though the ferarri is 40K more and the Turbo does beat (by the slightest margin) the 360 in most performence tests. Or why the BMW M3 always beats out the Vette Z06 in comparisons...sure the vette is a better performer, but i mean the interior is garbage. Anyways back to the point, Ferarri represents passion, and perfection. Just the fact the Modena creates a downforce with no visable wings is impressive enough for me, throw in that ferarri snarl, and the classic gated six. ANd there is no competition, throw on all the turbos, and computers youd like nothing beats the amazing feat of true craftsmenship and engineering. Dont get me wrong i love the GT-R its just no Ferarri. If it was up against a Z06 or Viper, sure......but not a Ferarri. No.
Could not said it better myself. Ferrari is passion and perfection.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 04-23-2002, 06:19 PM   #94
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino

Could not said it better myself. Ferrari is passion and perfection.
Quite true, simply put... Its a Ferrari

But I must say this, don't discount electronic systems as "electronic wizardry" they do do somthing, and it is somthing very usefull. Be it regulating fuel according to increased boost, keeping your boost curve nice and smooth, splitting torque to reduce wheelspin and increasing power delivery to the ground, moving a spoiler to provide the best downforce at changing speeds... You get the picture

Quote:
Postcounts - Phoey....it's not how often you speak,it's whether you actually say anything that matters.

Neishlin Motors
Old 04-23-2002, 08:03 PM   #95
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to JBL85
Although I love a Ferrari......if I was driving the car it would be something fast and reliable....you simply cant beat teh $hit out of a Ferrari and expect it to last......i mean a Nissan will outlast a Ferrari any day. But Engineering wise, yeah a Ferrari is better because it doesnt need turbos. And about a SKyline motor, thats one hell of a motor, it can be easily modded and stay reliable
Old 04-23-2002, 08:38 PM   #96
crayzayjay
CFA

hmmm.. ive yet to come across a single article that favours the 360 over the 996 Turbo... and saying that Ferrari's are perfect is a little OTT IMO.... Mechanically not as sound as Porsche's, you'd have to be a fool to argue with that

someone was saying a Ferrari doesnt need turbos so it's better engineered than some car, but the simple fact is if you want to adopt this line, you have to think of the servicing that needs to be carried out on a Ferrari to keep it running in A1 condition. A Porsche, on the other hand...
Old 04-24-2002, 12:36 AM   #97
JBL85
AF Fanatic

yeah well a porshe can kick a skylines ass.....i praise porshe on their beautiful design of that car.......just for a daily driver I will take a skyline if I am paying for it + maintence + tires and every other luxury with a sports car
Old 04-24-2002, 08:31 AM   #98
TatII
AF Fanatic

whoa jbl85 where have you been all this time? i haven't seen you on in like a month!

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 04-24-2002, 01:50 PM   #99
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by JBL85
yeah well a porshe can kick a skylines ass.....i praise porshe on their beautiful design of that car.......
I praise porsche for their amazing looking cars and good performance aswell. But as I hate sweeping generalizations, I must refer you to this video.

Sure some porsches could jump all over a stock GTR, but lets see here.

Porsche Boxter:
Horsepower 201 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque 181 ft lbs @ 4500 rpm
0-60 mph 6.1 seconds
0-1/4 mile 14.7 seconds
Top speed 149 mph / 240 km/h
Skidpad 0.89 g

Porsche 993:
Horsepower 285bhp @ 6100rpm
Top Speed 274km/h (170mph)
Accelleration 0-96km/h (60mph) 5.4 seconds

Porsche 944:
Horsepower 160bhp @ 5800rpm
Top Speed 219km/h (136mph)
Accelleration 0-96km/h (60mph) 8.0 seconds

Porsche 928:
Horsepower 234bhp @ 5500rpm
Top Speed 225km/h (140mph)
Accelleration 0-96km/h (60mph) 6.8 seconds

Skyline R32 GTS-T:
Horsepower 160kw @ 6400rpm
Torque 263nm @ 3200rpm
0-60 6.49 seconds
1/4 Mile 14.63 seconds

Skyline R32 GTR:
Horsepower 208kw @ 6400rpm
Torque 353nm @ 4400rpm
0-60 4.79 seconds
1/4 Mile 12.80 seconds

Skyline R33 GTR:
Horsepower 208kw @ 6800rpm
Torque 367nm @ 4400rpm
0-60 5.30 seconds
1/4 Mile 13.30 seconds

Skyline R34 GTR:
Horsepower 208kw @ 6800rpm
Torque 392nm @ 4400rpm
0-60 4.90 seconds
1/4 Mile 12.90 seconds

I'll try and find some skidpad numbers on the GTR as that is another area in which they accel.

Oh, if I seem like I"m being an asshole, I'm sorry... It's not what I ment by this post, I'm just bringing into to light so perhaps some people will stop writing the GTR off before they know exactialy what it can do.

Quote:

Neishlin Motors
Old 04-25-2002, 03:18 PM   #100
crayzayjay
CFA

Numbers don't tell the story. They mean sh*t.. if i strap a rocket to my bathtub, bolt on some bicycle wheels and make it go 0-60 in 2.2s, 1/4 mile in 5, will that be the best car in the world? the way some of the people on this forum talk im sure someone would buy one if i built it!
Old 04-26-2002, 12:55 AM   #101
JBL85
AF Fanatic

TATII

i am in www.altimas.net now, I got a new car =( and this forum doesnt have good support i still poke my nose around sometimes
Old 04-26-2002, 04:26 PM   #102
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
Numbers don't tell the story. They mean sh*t.. if i strap a rocket to my bathtub, bolt on some bicycle wheels and make it go 0-60 in 2.2s, 1/4 mile in 5, will that be the best car in the world? the way some of the people on this forum talk im sure someone would buy one if i built it!
No, numbers don't tell the whole story, but sense I have neither one of these cars and I'm guessing you don't either we can't go to the track and find out... So numbers is all we have to go on. And those numbers are the best representations of people who have put these cars on the track and seen what they can do.

I'm not one of those people who say things like "skylines own EVERYTHING" because they don't, there are plenty of cars out there that are faster, and many that are better in many ways. But in my personal opinion I like the GTR better then the above mentioned cars.

Quote:

Neishlin Motors
Old 04-26-2002, 07:39 PM   #103
crayzayjay
CFA

no, i dont have any of those cars but i have driven a 911, ridden in porsches and other fast cars enough to realise that numbers mean jack, or at least dont tell the whole story... some of the cars that have impressed me the most were not so fast at all. if i posted up the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for some of these cars you might laugh at me, but the way they drove was something else. any fool can bolt a fast engine onto a car and that wont make it great.
im realistic so i know its hard to pass judgement on cars. but if you want to go on numbers published by some magazine, why dont you instead read or watch the tests on these cars by a source other than yourself, (but one that you can trust) and you'll have a much better idea of what the car is like. dont treat these articles as your bible, but for us mere mortals that is all we can do..

cheers,
jay
Old 04-27-2002, 12:49 PM   #104
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
no, i dont have any of those cars but i have driven a 911, ridden in porsches and other fast cars enough to realise that numbers mean jack, or at least dont tell the whole story... some of the cars that have impressed me the most were not so fast at all. if i posted up the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for some of these cars you might laugh at me, but the way they drove was something else. any fool can bolt a fast engine onto a car and that wont make it great.
im realistic so i know its hard to pass judgement on cars. but if you want to go on numbers published by some magazine, why dont you instead read or watch the tests on these cars by a source other than yourself, (but one that you can trust) and you'll have a much better idea of what the car is like. dont treat these articles as your bible, but for us mere mortals that is all we can do..

cheers,
jay
I understand what your saying, a friend of mine used to have an old Audi coupe, it had horrid acceleration, but it handled great and was a blast to drive. But all we have to go on is numbers, and they do give an indication of what the car's really like. What else would you suggest we compair them by?

*Edit*
The more and more I think about it, the less and less I see how you can say numbers don't mean shit, they obviously do mean shit, if they didn't then no one would use them to compair cars. The "Numbers" are complied by people who do take these cars out on the track, and do run them through the traps and take the average of all their runs. I'd say that paints a pretty damn good picture of what the car can do. I'm sure the car's you've ridden in performed somewere around were the numbers said they would.

Quote:

Neishlin Motors
Old 04-29-2002, 03:38 PM   #105
TatII
AF Fanatic

when did porsche come into the picture? well i'll defend the skyline. the only porsches that can beat a skyline around a track would be the GT2, GT3, and the 996 turbo. those are the only 3. and the 996 turbo even didn't beat the skyline by that much. at the track its only .5 seconds faster. and the porsche has a 140 hp advantage. so yeah i guess yoru right, numbers dont' mean shit. lolz.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph