Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Commodore/VS/VT/VX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
pmp81
AF Newbie

97 VS Fuel efficiency and other issues

Hey All,

Just after a few suggestions to increase the fuel efficiency of my 1997 VS Commodore Wagon. It's got the 3.8L V6 with an Auto (yuk). I haven't done any mods to the engine yet and I'm wondering if it would be worth while doing a cold air intake with a pod filter to increase fuel efficiency.

I'm running Premium fuel every 3 tanks and usually use 95 over 91 if I can. I'm doing a trip from Brisbane to Sydney soon and I'm looking to get a bit better kms over the trip. I've recently changed the plugs and leads to NGK stuff and I've replaced the fuel and air filters already. I've also given the throttle body a good clean out.

Other issues I'm having, it seems to be a bit hesitant (like it has a miss almost) on take off up to around 40kph, then it's fine. It's coming and going though, some days it's fine, others its really bad, that's why I replaced the plugs and leads, which made a small difference, but not heaps. Also it seems to have a problem when I'm cruising on the highway, if I'm going up hill and need to give it a little bit more to maintain speed the rear end starts thudding like it can't make up it's mind what gear to be in..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul
pmp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
pmp81
AF Newbie

Re: 97 VS Fuel efficiency and other issues

Well I figured out the hesitancy and the thudding issues. It turns out the coil was screwed, so I replaced that. Runs perfect now, takes off great and cruises really nicely.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips ot increase fuel efficiency on it though, as I leave for sydney on Wednesday.

Would a Cold Air intake with a pod filter be any good?

- paul
pmp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Morgz
AF Newbie

You could fit a new set of headers (pacemaker or wildcat or something) and a hi-flow catalyic converter, this would improve fuel efficiency and power, though it is a rather exspensive move.
Morgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
mmcleo11
AF Regular

2.5" sports exhaust system, with mufflers to suit how loud you like it free up the engine a little and let it breath a bit better.

Fit a set of higher ratio roller rockers to the heads, which will improve power output a little but more importantly, make a bit more low rpm torque.

If you keep the cruise control on for the trip, it should be pretty good on fuel over such a long trip.

Also, as you stock ECU is tuned for 91 fuel from the factory, there is no major benefit in running 98/95 until you have the ECU reprogrammed to suit. The only benefit you are getting is slightly better exhaust emissions and maybe a 1~3% improvement in fuel economy. With the price difference of 91 to 95/98, ask yourself if it is really worth it...

Smashed Black VY SS Ute
The workhorse...
Twin turbo 5.7L LS1
Boyd Coddington 19" Turbine Wheels
AP Racing 4 Piston Brakes
Tein Coil over Suspension
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
PLX Devices DM-200 OBDII
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
mmcleo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
-Davo
Banned

Spending money to increase fuel efficinancy its like fighting to peace.

How much are you getting per tank and do you know your consumption per 100km?

Before I wrote my VS off, I got from Hornsby Nth Syd to Coffsharbour and it was aprox 540km, and I had used only 41 litres. Pure, highway cycle.

Usually with the VS's, are the O2 censors, crank angle sensor and the fuel pump affect their consumption.

Your trip is well over now, but tell us how it went?
-Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
lauz_69
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 97 VS Fuel efficiency and other issues

Hey i have a pod in my car a VS, it has been very good on fuel, ive gotten nearly 1000ks out of a full tank on regular bp fuel, much more eficcient since i put pod in no other mods either
lauz_69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Commodore/VS/VT/VX