Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
kodyowenby10
AF Newbie

1979 I6 out of a nova looking for a home

i have a old straight 6 out af a 1979 chevy nova would this engine work in a cj7 and what trans and gearing should i run
kodyowenby10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 06:51 AM   #2
76 maverick
AF Enthusiast

Well you can use it but you`ll need to make you`r own motor mounts.
You could use a 350 auto with a matching t case and then you need to find the right drive shafts.

76 maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
Off_Road
AF Regular

Re: 1979 I6 out of a nova looking for a home

Not exactly positive about this, but I think those old straight 6's had the old TH200's in em. And the really strange part about that is they had these really funny shaped bell housings (bellhousing all one piece, part of trans case).

Same as TH350 or 400's. Most all GM's automatic trannies the bell housing is part of the case. 1 piece aluminum case. That's not the odd reason why I'm bringing this up. But this is. Some of the 200's behind 6/4 cylinders were unique all to their own.

I'm not sure if this is the case here or not. But surely something to check into.
Off_Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
dreymeek
AF Newbie

The Chevy 6 cylinder engine uses the same frame mounts and bell housing pattern as the V8. It would be an excellent swap into a CJ7, you have the room to do it, the radiator would work without upsizing, and depending what transmission you have,it may be a bolt up on that end. Find the bellhousing from an 80 or 81 AMC that had a GM 4 cylinder in it. It's drilled for the T4 and T5 trans, and has the undrilled bosses to fit either a Chevy trans or a T18 4 speed. It will also have the setup for a hydraulic clutch. The engine bolt pattern is the same as the 6's and v8's. I got mine out of an '80 Spirit, and am putting the 4 cylinder in my '66 CJ5 in place of the original F-head engine.
dreymeek is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion