Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
KEFLON
AF Newbie

Revell Ducati 916

Hi Guys. This is sort of my first post where I am showing my work so bear with me.

Well I may as well introduce my self: Name is Faz, im from South London, been modeling on and off for the past 12 years (aged 22 btw) last break was about 2-3 years, just reintroduced my self to the hobby about 2 months ago.

The kit im working on is the Revell Ducati 916 1/9th scale. This kit is not great! quailty is below par, bad fitment and even tho they give u a great detailed engine they provide a 1 piece crowling so it gets covered! well i fixed that by cutting the panels apart and will reattach them using small screws. I started this kit about 2-3 years ago so interms of quaity and technique things have changed.

This kit is basily a test bed for new techniques im trying out, so I wanted to go over the top with the detail. Btw I know the cables are well out of scale but I guess u live and learn!

I used Carbon Fibre decals for the first time on the exhusts but forgot to use smoke and clear before I attached them. The fender was fairly hard for me cos I have to do it bit by bit, there are a few flaws but the smoke hides them, apart from that Im pleased with my efforts. Decals are SMS (very old 1's tho)

The painting was done using Tamiya acriylics and mainly airbrushed with several washes for depth and used look (I know I forgot to give heat treatment to the exhust!)

The last job is to paint the panels for them Im using Zero ducati Rosso Corsa and will clear it using Zero pre thinned clear.

Thks for letting me share my work. Any help or positive critics will be greatly appreciated.

Heres a couple of pics of my last finished project (about 3yrs ago) its a Revell MV Agusta F4.

Thks for looking...

Faz

Last edited by KEFLON; 09-06-2007 at 06:44 PM.
KEFLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

Re: Revell Ducati 916

I Love The Mv Agusta, Relly Nice Kit, I'll Be Working My Self In Modifyn A F4 In To A F4 312r Race Version.
ALEX GAROLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
KEFLON
AF Newbie

Thks mate.

Yeah its deffo 1 of my fav bikes designed by the same guy who penned the ducati 916.

Kit is not so great tho lol V basic
Old 09-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

The MV Augusta looks excellent,really nice build.I saw your other post about the painting troubles you've been having with 'orange peel' in the finish.You're going the right way about eliminating the problem by using the Zero paints and building up the colour in light coats.You may also add a little extra thinner to the paint and this will also help with the 'orange peel' problem by letting the coats of paint flow out better and level whilst drying.If you just build up the colour density slowly you should have no problems.The Zero clear is also an excellent product.It is a high build clear.Less shrinkage whilst drying and will also fill any slight texture in the basecoat also lessening the orange peel effect.I've used the Zero paints on a couple of recent builds and they really are the best around.Some of the finishes have needed little or no polishing they have been good enough straight from the airbrush I have just waxed them when dry.Keep us posted with your progress.Have a look at my Hayabusa build where I used Zero paints for all the main colours http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=720884
Old 09-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
KEFLON
AF Newbie

Thks Steve im hoping the Ducati will be a big step forward compared to the MV agusta. I thought ure Ducati was superb and I was really impressed with ure paint job on the Suzuki very slick, If I can get a paint job 1/2 as good Ill be very happy.

I hope to get the basecoat finished by friday. Then prob clear coat on sunday after the gp race or something.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
KEFLON
AF Newbie

Update:

Finally finished the basecoat! had a bit off an accident and had to go back 5 steps and repaint the main body. But no probs Zero paint is very forgiving and easy to correct. Just finished the decal application and to my suprise they went on very easily and responded well to micro sol considering they are 10 years old. Also just applyed a dark redish wash to the panel lines.

Clear coat application begins tommorrow!

Btw does any1 know how long I should leave Zero pre-thinned clear to cure before polishing stage?

Thks

Hope to read your comments and critics
Old 09-11-2007, 03:32 AM   #7
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

Looking great, love the wheels, it's a very hot looking bike. Any chance of seeing a pic next to a 1/24th car, if you have one?
mrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
KEFLON
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawl
Looking great, love the wheels, it's a very hot looking bike. Any chance of seeing a pic next to a 1/24th car, if you have one?

Sure

Here we have the 1/9th scale MV Agusta besides a 1/24th scale Mazda MX-5

And heres another 1 just to show the true massive size of the MV Agusta

Show in the picture:

1/9th MV Agusta (REVELL)
1/18th Ferrari Enzo (BBR)
1/20th Bennaton F1 not started! (Tamiya)
1/24th Mazda mx 5 (Tamiya)

Hope that helps in showing the true scale differences

Thks for looking
Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEFLON

Btw does any1 know how long I should leave Zero pre-thinned clear to cure before polishing stage?
I just tried the Zero pre thinned clear on some mirrors and I polished them after 48 hrs drying and they came up nicely.The paint and decals on the Ducati are looking very good!!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
KEFLON
AF Newbie

Cheers Steve

Yeha prob my best paint job to date! but it wasn't a walk in the park for sure.

Decals were very nice to work with got them on 5mins easy.

I got a bit of dirt trapped under the 2nd clear coat so After the coat hardens a bit ill have to sand it out and then give it a few more coats before letting it cure fully.

Thks
Old 09-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
willster127
AF Regular

I think it looks fantastic so far, keep it up. One thing though, is it just me or does the front tyre seem to be on backwards? If it was raining it looks like this one would pull water in?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
KEFLON
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willster127
I think it looks fantastic so far, keep it up. One thing though, is it just me or does the front tyre seem to be on backwards? If it was raining it looks like this one would pull water in?
LOL oh Sh*t I think ure right hmm well ill see if I can change it round, I can't remmber if I glued the axle in place. If so it will ahve to stay.

Thks for that I never noticed that at all! They should have rotational direction arrows on them like the real thing.

THks
Old 09-12-2007, 02:35 AM   #13
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

Tx for the pics. They're monsters! The red one will look great standing along side.
mrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #14
ketje
AF Enthusiast

The model is looking good. These revell kits are a pain in the ass. I've built one a long time ago. Maybe I will try it again now I've a lot more experience building bikes.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes