Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
gw84
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to gw84
should I have been charged for this alignment?

I went in to this shop because my truck was pulling quite a bit to the right. They did an alignment and afterward I was looking at the before & after specs and they weren't much different...I think they adjusted the toe a little and maybe something else, but for the most part the specs were already acceptable to begin with. They told me that one of the front tires had a little bit of a camber to it but that they didn't like to move the factory [something] because it becomes more of a hassle down the road. Then when I left, I noticed the truck was still pulling to the right, so I went back to the shop and they swapped the front tires...this caused it to pull just slightly to the left.

*edit: I ask because if the specs weren't far off to begin with, shouldn't they have told me that an alignment wasn't necessary? I did have a $10 discount coupon, so if I did get ripped, it wasn't as bad lol

This ain't your grandma's car!!
gw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: should I have been charged for this alignment?

Did you tell them about the pull before they started on it? If not, you should have. This info will give the alignment tech something to look for. Just because numbers are in specs does not mean they wont cause a pull or tire wear. The only thing they are guilty of is not test driving the truck. Not sure what they didn't want to adjust without knowing what kind of truck you have.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw84 View Post
I went in to this shop because my truck was pulling quite a bit to the right. They did an alignment and afterward I was looking at the before & after specs and they weren't much different...I think they adjusted the toe a little and maybe something else, but for the most part the specs were already acceptable to begin with. They told me that one of the front tires had a little bit of a camber to it but that they didn't like to move the factory [something] because it becomes more of a hassle down the road. Then when I left, I noticed the truck was still pulling to the right, so I went back to the shop and they swapped the front tires...this caused it to pull just slightly to the left.

*edit: I ask because if the specs weren't far off to begin with, shouldn't they have told me that an alignment wasn't necessary? I did have a $10 discount coupon, so if I did get ripped, it wasn't as bad lol
the problem your having is a bit strange for me to understand. it was with a PULL to the right before alignment but the report stated that the alignment was not off by much before they changed things.

now if you rotate your tires often like 15,ooomi and they are not worn evenly I would say they are screwing you by stating they aligned it properly with that report they gave you. an alignment means camber changes so that the tires roll correctly. if not you will get a pull [ I CALL DRIFT ] when you let go of the steering wheel.

If this is a tire shop I believe it . many have problems in these businesses.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
gw84
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to gw84

it was a tire shop. They asked what the truck was doing when I went in and I told them that it was pulling to the right. I forgot to mention that I have a '99 K1500. I might take the before/after report to an actual alignment shop or independent mechanic and see what they think, I just noticed that the specs were in the green for the most part to begin with but they went ahead with the work

This ain't your grandma's car!!
gw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw84 View Post
it was a tire shop. They asked what the truck was doing when I went in and I told them that it was pulling to the right. I forgot to mention that I have a '99 K1500. I might take the before/after report to an actual alignment shop or independent mechanic and see what they think, I just noticed that the specs were in the green for the most part to begin with but they went ahead with the work

Post the specs...Adjustments are pretty easy on that, not sure what they didn't want to adjust.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion