Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
Entau
AF Enthusiast

Re: Lexus LFA by Tamiya soon !!!

Certainly good new, but why a full engine on the LFA? that thing can fly?

and a 4800yen price tag....that really pull me off
Entau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
360spider
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbacon View Post
I guess you've not been reading the GT-R reviews, then... I've got no brief for the GT-R - I think it's ugly. But the numbers speak for themselves...

It's just under £60 K for 500+ BHP and 0-60 in significantly sub 4 seconds. You have to get a £105K GT3RS to get a 911 that's even close, £108K for a slightly slower R8 V10, and £170K of DBS isn't as fast, never mind the Vantage. Not only that, but the GT-R is a functional four seater (as long as the back two are teenagers at most!) with room for two bags of golf clubs in the boot - try that in a GT3RS.

I quite agree with you about the LFA - if ONLY it was as competitive (read "trumps") vs the European alternatives as the GT-R is, it might be worth paying £300K for. However, when you can get a 599 GTO for the same price, forget it.

But don't lump the GT-R in the same bracket - it'll match any of your big boys at twice the price, and leave anything else that costs £60K in the dust...

;-P

bestest,
M.
Its all true, but Nissan does not excite me (and trust me, it does not excite people who have the money to buy cars like that) nearly as much as other cars you mention there. In the end, its not about how much it cost, or what it can do.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #18
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

[quote=360spider;6827092 In the end, its not about how much it cost, or what it can do.[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion though. I don't want to start a war : D

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #19
indy_231
AF Newbie

Quote:
I guess you've not been reading the GT-R reviews, then... I've got no brief for the GT-R - I think it's ugly. But the numbers speak for themselves...

It's just under £60 K for 500+ BHP and 0-60 in significantly sub 4 seconds. You have to get a £105K GT3RS to get a 911 that's even close, £108K for a slightly slower R8 V10, and £170K of DBS isn't as fast, never mind the Vantage. Not only that, but the GT-R is a functional four seater (as long as the back two are teenagers at most!) with room for two bags of golf clubs in the boot - try that in a GT3RS.

I quite agree with you about the LFA - if ONLY it was as competitive (read "trumps") vs the European alternatives as the GT-R is, it might be worth paying £300K for. However, when you can get a 599 GTO for the same price, forget it.

But don't lump the GT-R in the same bracket - it'll match any of your big boys at twice the price, and leave anything else that costs £60K in the dust...

;-P

bestest,
M.

I don't care about the reviews.

I am talking about buying one and owning one.

The fact is, in the real world you are never going to be going flat out everywhere.

What I am saying is that, although the GT-R is a faster a sports car, it's never going to be as "special" or sought after as a Ferrari.

Buying a car and liking certain cars over others is not all determined by numbers and statistics!!

360 Spider understands what I am saying

The Nissan GT-R is such a geeky car in my opinion, no real passion, it's just all figures etc.

Saying to someone, "oh I own a Nissan" is so uncool compared to saying "I own a Ferrari"
indy_231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #20
mattbacon
AF Enthusiast

Oh, don’t get me wrong... _I_ understand what you mean as well. I wouldn’t buy a GT-R, and it hasn’t got a tenth of the “sex appeal” of your “big boys”. I was just pointing out that the GT-R is actually a competitive piece of machinery, whereas, in it’s stratospheric price bracket, the LFA isn’t. I really can’t see why _anyone_ would buy an LFA, when you could have a 599 GTO or an XKR75 AND a 458 for the same money! However, I _can_ see why you (or a boy racer of your acquaintance) might make a considered choice to buy a GTR, especially since the alternative isn’t really a “big boy” - it’s a BMW M3...

Personally, if I had £60K “spare", I’d get a year-old R8 or an older 360 Spider. As it is, I think a Triumph GT6 Mk2 is probably the best Il’ll manage...

bestest,
M
mattbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #21
indy_231
AF Newbie

Matt, your right, an R8 everytime.

You can even get an F430 for £60k now. Hell, you can get a DB9 for less than £50k!

Think Lamborghini Gallardos are in a similar bracket too!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
mattbacon
AF Enthusiast

Actually, if I _really_ had £60K spare, I'd buy this:

http://tinyurl.com/397jfma

bestest,
M.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #23
indy_231
AF Newbie

Quote:
Actually, if I _really_ had £60K spare, I'd buy this:

http://tinyurl.com/397jfma

bestest,
M.

That is cheap for an original, I've seen some fetch 100k plus!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #24
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

Back to the LFA, I don't care for it. The fact that it exists in kit form cements in my head that Toyota is trying too hard. I'd rater have a Mclaren F1 full-detail kit instead. Just my opinion.
sam-r350 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #25
mattbacon
AF Enthusiast

I think the LFA kit probably only exists because Mr Tamiya has one... it's well-documented that the plastic model as opposed to RC side of the business is very much a matter of personal enthusiasm and commitment from the senior management. Given the extraordinarily high quality of the engineering and manufacturing skills on offer at Tamiya, it's the only way to make sense of the choice of subjects (why not a 1/32 Mustang? Why a 1/48 Swordfish?... ) They aren't driven by market research, but by passion and enthusiasm. Fujimi and Aoshima are the guys who are going step by step through the list of exotics that I want to buy. I wish that Airfix and Revell (Germany) would do the same through the UK Top Gear "Dream Garage" for Europeans. But Mr Tamiya makes what Mr Tamiya wants to make....

bestest,
M.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #26
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360spider View Post
+1.
WTF? Tamiya would rather spend money on a tool of a weird Japanese wannabe supercar, instead of making new BMWs, Astons, Maseratis, etc? I don't believe it one bit. I'm too thinking that Toyota is sponsoring this one. They are trying so hard with this LFA car, its getting ridiculous.

Where is my M5? Where is absolutely gorgeous Maser Gran Turismo? Where is DB9!!!!!

I second that, i think they would make more money too. Escpecially on a mclaren or a zonda. But yeah more euro spec please.

Even though i will still probably get one and am happy it will have full engine. Should turn out like the enzo of the early 2000s. Still other marques would be better TAMIYA!!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #27
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

BTW i think i would get the new rog new mercedes over the lfa. Am still looking forward for a build up on here. Hopefully someone will post progress before we even see it on the shelves.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #28
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja

Waiting forward to see how they are going to mold the rear quarter pieces.
blubaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #29
73superduty
Lost in plastic

Send a message via AIM to 73superduty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonioseven View Post
Back to the LFA, I don't care for it. The fact that it exists in kit form cements in my head that Toyota is trying too hard. I'd rather have a Mclaren F1 full-detail kit instead. Just my opinion.
sam-r350 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0
TRUTH!
Chris
73superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #30
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonioseven View Post
I'd rather have a Mclaren F1 full-detail kit instead. Just my opinion.
Me too!

That said, the LFA is quirky enough that I definitely want the kit. I may never see the real car...it's going to be extremely limited production...there will be more Ferrari 599 GTO's being produced than the LFA (599 GTO's, 500 LFA's). I've been lucky to have seen the only 2 GTO's that were delivered through Atlanta...and I want a model of that, too! The reason the LFA is so expensive is because of the very short production run. There were 1,340 Ferrari F40's made, for example, and over 4,000 Lamborghini Murcielagos.

I suspected all along Tamiya would do the LFA. It's just a Tamiya kinda thing.