Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 07:29 PM   #1
chevy_pimp2004
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1977 impala loud engine knocking

Im a 17 year old girl and just bought my first car. ive had it for a month and it just started knocking violently one day. i paid 1500 for this car, it looks very good but evry1 says i got played cause im a girl. I dont care, i love this car and i really want to fix this. People(some mechanics) say I need a new engine block. i'm just starting to learn about the workings of my chevy but i'm not sure which diagnosis to trust.

PLEASE SAVE MY BABY!!!!
chevy_pimp2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
Fritz The Cat
AF Regular

Re: 1977 impala loud engine knocking

Sounds like your engines a goner. Your choices are:

Rebuild the engine ( most expensive )

Install a remanufactured short or long block ( moderately expensive )

Install a good used engine. ( not as expensive )

Since you are new to cars, I would not recommend you try to do this yourself. Take it to a certified mechanic, or find someone you know who has done this before. Another idea is check the local high schools and community tech collages for auto shop classes that will work on your car. Students do the work under the supervision of the teacher and they charge a much smaller fee. If you want to go with a used engine, check your local "salvage centers" (junk yards). Some of them will do the installation for you and will cost lots less then a pro. mechanic will charge.

Fritz
Fritz The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
chevy_pimp2004
AF Newbie

Angry

now the car wont even back up a hill. it cuts off when it gets to the hill in the driveway.
chevy_pimp2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
ImportBuilder
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ImportBuilder Send a message via Yahoo to ImportBuilder
hey, sry to hear bout the Impala. that sux. i think ppl r right bout how u got ripped off cuz ur a girl. just to be safe, next time u buy a car, new or used, take ur dad or sumthin with u. even if they dont know ne thing bout cars, seeing a guy will usually discourage ppl from rippin u off cuz ur a girl. ne way, i hope u can get ur car fixed.
2x Majestic MCS6923BC
4 AWG Power/Ground
1x Lightning Audio STRIKE S4.15.VC2
1x Lightning Audio STRIKE 24.500.1
Dynamat Xtreme in trunk
Coming Soon:
New SPL Setup
ImportBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 09:45 PM   #5
buddhahaha
AF Newbie

You're going to double the price of the car if you fix it, however, if it's in otherwise good shape, it's still worth it.
buddhahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
77pimpala
AF Newbie

man it sounds pretty bad, but its not the motor, its all about the transmission and how it slips in reverse. mine used to do the same thing but you need to do two things, 1) when ever your about to drive somewhere warm it up good, old impala's are not good cold weather cars. and 2) spend about 100-150 on a transmission rebuild kit and pop the tranny out and rebuild it. the car has a turbo 350 transmission and its one of hte most easiest to rebuild and the most common transmissions that chevy made. rebuild the tranny and youll be very pleased on how the car runs. i was and still am today and i have 100k miles on it since i rebuilt it and it still runs great.
77pimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #7
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
AF Regular

Re: Re: 1977 impala loud engine knocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77pimpala
man it sounds pretty bad, but its not the motor, its all about the transmission and how it slips in reverse. mine used to do the same thing but you need to do two things, 1) when ever your about to drive somewhere warm it up good, old impala's are not good cold weather cars. and 2) spend about 100-150 on a transmission rebuild kit and pop the tranny out and rebuild it. the car has a turbo 350 transmission and its one of hte most easiest to rebuild and the most common transmissions that chevy made. rebuild the tranny and youll be very pleased on how the car runs. i was and still am today and i have 100k miles on it since i rebuilt it and it still runs great.
well knocking would be a engine might have a bent rod or 4 or 5 lol
i'll give you $500.00 for it if its a 2dr i got a 385 fast burn sittin here go real nice in it
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
Pat_OD
AF Enthusiast

damn that sucks. I bought a 1985 GMC Sierra for 1500 great body condition, barely and rust. I drove it around for 2 days before i bought and also had it inspected, only minor things needed to be fixed. Anyway so i drove it around for another 2 days after the inspection and boom it dies on me after 3 min of driving. The oil pressure went to 0 every time. I figured that the guy i bought it from put some heavier oil in it so i wouldn't notice the engine knocking. I went back to talk to the guy, he kept avoiding me. Man i was heated i was ready to beat the crap out of this guy. Anyway i took it to a few mechanics they said "get a new engine" i said "we'll see". Long story short i bought a new crankshaft and some gaskets replaced the crank and haven't had another problem. Total parts cost were $400 bucks. Good luck