Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
dmorlow
AF Regular

2004 hook up my ipod???

Ok, I want to know what's the best way to hook up my ipod to my 2004 impala. I went out and bought a frequency broadcaster so it puts it through a channel but it doesn't sound that good. I think it's because the antenna is in the back window and it isn't broadcasting strong enough to get to the antenna in back. So I noticed there's an AUX feature on my radio. How do I tap into that? Are there RCA jacks on the back of the radio? Or does someone have a better way to hook an ipod into a 2004 Impala? (It doesn't have a tape player.)
dmorlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Pat_OD
AF Enthusiast

i used a ipod on my 2000 and it came through clear as a cd... as for tapping into aux i dont know sry.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
cbryan70
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 hook up my ipod???

I have the same thing in my 2002 impala and it works great. You have to have a clear radio station. If you use it on a regular radio you dont even have to have the ipod within 30 feet of the radio and it still works great
cbryan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
dmorlow
AF Regular

Ok, then maybe you guys can tell me something then. I bought this radio adapter thing from best buy. I bought the cheapest one i could find. There were other ones that plugged into the cigerette adapter but they also took batteries like the one i have does. the sales person couldn't explain to me why that one took batteries but also needed to plug into the cigerette lighter also. Maybe it used the power from the cigerette lighter to boost the strength of the signal so it would sound better??
Old 03-24-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
cbryan70
AF Newbie

It might charge the ipod while its playing
cbryan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:15 AM   #6
dmorlow
AF Regular

no, it doesn't charge the ipod because it doesn't plug into the dock connector and that's how a new ipod charges.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
twgclari4
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to twgclari4
IceLink

Unless you live in rural Wyoming, the FM transmitter just isn't going to do the job. I've read a lot about the http://icelink.densionusa.com/ system and many of my friends have experienced great success with it.

The system is $219 and requires connection from the back end of the car's stereo. Once installed, the IceLink acts as if it is the CD player and the driver can change songs etc. from the car's stereo controls.
twgclari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:25 PM   #8
Shelbrain
AF Newbie

You need to pull your radio and look on the back. There is an adaptor you can buy through Crutchfield....
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nMtHAHR...put%5FAdapters

If the link does not work just go seach for AUX IN ADAPTOR.
Shelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Who What
AF Newbie

I would like to hook up my iPod to the OEM stereo system in my Impala 2004 as well. How do I remove the dash board cover - without damaging anything - as to be able to get to the back of the head unit?

I do not have the manual because it's a leased car.
Who What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #10
dmorlow
AF Regular

I'm not going to do it myself. I've installed a lot of stereos in my previous cars. Even though I'm pretty confident everything would go OK, last thing I need to do is break something on my brand new car. I'll just pay someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Who What
AF Newbie

You're right. I'm being cheap. But still, pulling out a head unit shouldn't be too big a deal. I only want to see if there's an RCA or DIN Aux on the back that I could connect to the headphone output of my iPod. That would do the trick for just ten bucks. No need to get a mechanic involved in that.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #12
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who What
You're right. I'm being cheap. But still, pulling out a head unit shouldn't be too big a deal. I only want to see if there's an RCA or DIN Aux on the back that I could connect to the headphone output of my iPod. That would do the trick for just ten bucks. No need to get a mechanic involved in that.

check out Impala HQ

its under the How to section all i can say is HAVE fun
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
Who What
AF Newbie

Thanks for the link.

I hope in the future model GM will just put an RCA Aux on the front panel. All that effort for a bit of decent music in the car.

I'm going in!
Old 04-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #14
dmorlow
AF Regular

So I've been seeing these new adapters that you can plug into the ipods that plug in the connector in the bottom of the ipod and they plug into the AUX port on the factory radio. Then, supposedly, you can control the ipod straight from your factory radio instead of having to install a mount for the ipod. And the display of the factory radio shows the song that's playing on the ipod and you can control the ipod from the factory radio's controls. Has anyone successfully installed this in an Impala? From what I understand though, if I have satellite radio (which I do), I can't have both the ipod and the satellite radio at once. It doesn't make sense to me though because the satellite radio is part of the radio feature, plus theres a button for CD/AUX which would make me believe that the AUX is seperate from the satellite. Has anyone gotten anything like this to work on a radio that has satellite radio? And, if so, where did you get it and how much?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #15
dmorlow
AF Regular

Well, I decided to take the road less traveled and I'm putting an aftermarket radio in my car now. People will think I'm insaine but I decided to buy the Pioneer AVIC-N1. Cost me $1400!!! But now I can just buy the adapter for this for around $200 and run it straight into the radio. The ones for the factory radios are still hard to find. Plus this new radio has GPS navigation. (I get lost very easy.)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS