Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #31
nfg2184
AF Enthusiast

Re: The SN65 project car

I have no idea what any of you guys are talking about, it's beyond my extremely vast knowledge of bolt ons ;-) .

But neato nonetheless. Keep up the good work.
Audio:
15" RE .SE sub to BRUTUS 1500, 6.5" RE components in the rear, Apline's in front, all to Pheonix Gold Profile, Alpine deck.

-1997 Sentra XE, 5-speed POS, commuter.
nfg2184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #32
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Hi All,

I think I have the wiper issue resolved. I ordered a custom kit based on all the input I received over the past week and I think it will work out fine. :-)

I have started to fit up the front suspension pieces. I need to get the engine installed and the major systems installed so that we can finish the sheet metal work on the upper fenders. We wouldn't want to paint everything and then find out that we need to modify something at that point.

Anyway... Here are some shots of the Maximum Motorsports front end. Very nice items. I have not run into a single problem with any of their items as of yet.

Now I have to figure out how to relocate the motor mounts back 7" and I will be home free.

Catch you later.

SN65
SN65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #33
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Opps...

The best laid plans $)(@)*!@_)#

I was just modifying the K-member for relocating the motor mounts. I was doing a pretty good job. I got everything aligned etc... I was checking the clearance for the alternator and somthing hit me that I did not give consideration to.

THE LINKAGE FOR THE RACK COMES RIGHT UP THROUGH THE OIL COOLER!!!!

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!!!

Now I have to see if I can come up with some reasonable way to remove the oil cooler, install a remote oil filter and aftermarket oil cooler.

HELP!!!!

Please someone must have a solution for this problem.

Sigh... :-(

SN65
Old 01-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #34
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Hi all,

Here are some photos showing the relocation of the motor mounts. There will be a lot of trimming and a lot of pieces added to tie the structure together. When finished it should look like one cohesive structure.

Anyway... You can see where the connection for the rack will be in relation to the new motor mounts. This is where the interference with the Cobra oil cooler needs to be resolved.

I think I can work things out with the standard 4.6 oil filter mounting casting, but I am still looking for better alternatives.

Catch you all later.

SN65
Old 01-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #35
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Hi All,

Here is the modified K-Member. I still have a bit more work to do (a few more gussets to fab and install), but it gives you the general idea.

If you compare it to the last photos I posted you will notice that we have trimmed and fit the factory member to the tubular member we picked up from Maximum Motorsports, and we have removed the tubular members motor mounts.

You can now see where the power steering linkage comes up in the general area of the oil cooler and alternator.

I will be removing the alt & oil cooler, bolting up the K-member, installing the normally aspired oil filter casting and working up a bracket for the relocation of the alternator.

Wish me luck

SN65
Old 01-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #36
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Hi All,

Man!!! Taking off the oil cooler casting was a real pain in the A$$.

I have been at it most of the day. I had to modify a 13mm OE wrench to get the last trapped bolt off.

Anyway, I have the K-member in possition under the motor. I am going to modify a NA oil filter casting rotating the coolant connection 90 degrees. I am also going to have to clearance the K-member for the alternator. What do you think??? About 3/8" should do it???

Anyway. I should have the K-member mods finished tomarrow. I will have to order the new oil filter casting, cut it and tig weld it back in the proper configuration.

What a project!!! Who's smart A$$ idea was this??? Will it never end???

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!!!

Whew. I feel much better.

Catch you all tomarrow.

SN65
Old 01-13-2005, 11:24 PM   #37
emokid15
AF Enthusiast

Damn it looks good everytime u post pics lol.

AdRIAn
Old 01-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #38
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Hi All,

Here is a shot of the modified K-member. I have modified the member to give me some clearance for the alternator.

When I had the member in position (on the engine) I traced the outline of the alt onto the rectangular tube plus about 3/8" for clearance. I then used the plazma cutter to cope out the rectangular tube. I ground off the side tabs of the piece I removed, shaped it to the curve I wanted and welded it in place. I then made some cresent shaped pieces out of flat stock and welded them to the sides of the tube. I then shaped a flat piece to match the curve of the cresent and welded it in position. This gives the part the illusion of being bent out of one piece of tube.

It should look great after blasting and painting.

Now I have to get this whole thing (trans and all) bolted into the car so that I can put the full weight on the suspension and give the entire chassis a good inspection.

Catch you later

SN65
Old 01-14-2005, 03:51 PM   #39
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

seeing that cobra R pic... u guys should drop a cobra R 5.4 in it. that would be awesome
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #40
emokid15
AF Enthusiast

Hell yeah it would be tight. Man i dont know why my friend take a better pic of me in the car. its cutting half of the bumper off. but i dont care it was loud, and nice.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #41
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Hi All,

Today we are getting ready to finish welding the rear sheetmetal. I have mocked up the front sheetmetal so that the bodyman can determine if he has to make any adjustments to the rear quarters in order to get the best possible body lines from the front to the rear of the car.

If he does not have the entire car to judge his fitup, we could run into fitup / alignment issues when we finish the front.

We are always trying to look at how everything effects everything else all the time. We do not want any surprises at this point.

Also, I have roughed out the front valance openings. I think that it is going to look pretty cool when the valance is all detailed out.

While Wayne is working on the rear of the car, I am going to start working on the windshield wiper setup and installation.

More on monday. Catch you later.

SN65
Old 01-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #42
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Hi All,

This weekend Wayne got the rear quarters, wheel housings, etc... all welded up.

attached are some photos. You can also see just how much the rear tire sticks out from the side of the car.

I reviewed the WW setup. I should be able to get this to work BUT...

If I use the motor supplied in the kit, I will have to locate it under the dash (it is not suitable for installation inside the engine bay). If I can modify the ford motor to fit, I can locate it anywhere I choose and I will also maintain all the factory electrical hookups and functions. I will be looking at this today and see what I can come up with.

So, I will be working on the dash modifications required to get the dash to fit and also the WW modifications.

Catch you later

SN65
Old 01-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #43
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Hi All,

I NEED SOME TECH HELP!!!

Is the delay function in the Ford WW setup controled by electronics located in the dash board or is it integral to the WW motor itself. The motor that came with the kit has connections for Hi speed, Low speed, +12V and park. Are these the same 5 connections on the 03 Mustang motor?

What do you think?

SN65
Old 01-17-2005, 12:22 PM   #44
StangNut86
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to StangNut86 Send a message via Yahoo to StangNut86
Re: Re: The SN65 project car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN65
Hi All,

I NEED SOME TECH HELP!!!

Is the delay function in the Ford WW setup controled by electronics located in the dash board or is it integral to the WW motor itself. The motor that came with the kit has connections for Hi speed, Low speed, +12V and park. Are these the same 5 connections on the 03 Mustang motor?

What do you think?

SN65
i don't know about '03s, but in my '89 lx 5.0, the intermittent (delay?) controller is under the dash, near the steering column and pedals, in a small brown plastic box. i found this out because i almost broke mine changing from automatic to manual pedals. it makes an audible click when i use intermittents

'89 Mustang 5.0 - How fast? i'll know this weekend.
'86 Mustang LX - Shortblock is built, now for the rest of it.

"Put the subject before the verb, hmm? Fail this class, you will."
-Yoda teaches english class.
StangNut86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:25 AM   #45
SN65
AF Enthusiast

Hi All,

Well I have been working on the windshield wiper setup. The WW kit manufacturer says that the motor is not suitable for location in the engine bay due to temp limitations. They recommend that the motor be located inside the passenger compartment. In order to find a suitable interior location for the WW motor I needed to position the dash.

To position the dash I needed to trim back the dash pad (about 2") at the point where it wraps around the windshield pillars. I still need to trim back about another 1/2" for a perfect fit, but I will wait on that until I am ready to actually install the sucker.

After positioning the dash, I was at a loss as to where to mount the WW motor. I am going to loose the entire dash between the defroster ducts and the windshield. In fact, I am going to have to modify the defroster ducts a bit if I want them to fit at all.

I scratched my head for a bit until I called my brother Wayne over for advice. After looking around a bit, he said lets mount the motor in the wheel well. There is plenty of room in the passenger side wheel well where the shock tower used to be. And, the installation will be pretty straight forward. Wayne said that we just have to be careful to make sure that the wheel clears the assembly when turned full right.

Oh well… The coffee is ready, people are starting to show up at work, time to get to it.

Catch you all later.

SN65

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk