Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 04:23 AM   #1
VTcommo
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VTcommo
Red face SUB BOX and AMP

Ey guyz,
U will laugh but i bought a Boss 1200 watt amp 4 channel, probs put out like 2 ohms, but ne ways i have this 12inch JBL 1000 sub i think it is, so i was thinking if i bridge 2 channels to the SUB will it be sweet to run it, the other channels will b running to my 6x9 speakers?
Also i dont have a box yet!! which will b the best for this 12 inch sub?? would a ported or sealed box b the best? i would just buy a cubic foot sealed one i think!! fuk i dunno! ne suggestions!
thanks every1, hope 2 hear from u soon!

cheers
VTcommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:35 AM   #2
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane
Re: SUB BOX and AMP

I have a boss 1200 2 channel, you would be better off using a 2 channel like mine to power your subs and saving your 4 channel to power your speakers (4 of them)
Haibane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:26 AM   #3
ssjwizard
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ssjwizard Send a message via Yahoo to ssjwizard
you should be able to cross bridge that to get a 3 channel amp. chans one and 2 you take pos line 1 and neg line 2 for sub and then chans 3 and 4 normal for your 6x9's. this may or may not work depending on your amp.
ssjwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:39 AM   #4
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

K I think you have the RT-835, the specs on it are the most ambiguous things I've ever seen:
Power Max (2 Ohm) 300w x 4
Power RMS (4 Ohm) 150w x 4
Power Bridged: 600w x 2

I'm really not sure what it will put out if you bridge the channels, it says 600x2 but I have a feeling that is max power, it also doesn't say at what ohm load but I have a feeling since it's bridged that's at 4ohm. Just make sure your sub can be wired to 4ohm and you can try it out.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: SUB BOX and AMP

ah here we go:
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/BOSRT835

300x2 when bridged, that's more like it. I have a hard time believing it really puts out 300x2 when it costs $140, but whatever. If you like it then that's all that matters.

Just make sure your sub is 4ohm and then wire the + from one channel to the + on the sub and the - on another channel to the - on your sub. There should be diagrams and it should also say in the instruction manual.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
Old 10-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #6
VTcommo
Banned

Red face more info, thanks ppl

Im not conecting myself so i dont really know much about the connections and shit like that. I just need to know if it would power the sub enough as well as 6x9s?
The 12 inch sub is JBL GT4-12 and the shitty amp is a BOSS BA-4300. I bought this poo poo of an amp caus i didnt want to spend much caus i will b getting better shit down the track. What about a sub box?? which should i use? Sealed?? a standard cubic foot 1 would do?

Thanks for your help guys!!
hope to here some responses bak soon!
desperate to get this sub pumping even if the amp will overheat in 2 seconds and is not powerful enough, so it will probably fuk the suby up!
Old 10-28-2003, 07:15 PM   #7
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: more info, thanks ppl

It looks like that will work, I can't find the specs on that amp anywhere, but as long as it puts out ~200x2 when bridged it should work. Obviously it isn't going to sound the best, it's a cheap amp and the sub has a freq response of 28-450Hz +/- 13dB (which pretty much means it will be inaudible anywhere below 35Hz).

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 10-28-2003, 07:57 PM   #8
ssjwizard
AF Regular

i would go with sealed it is best for SQ and with a cheep amp you dont want to sacrafice anymore than you have to/
Old 10-29-2003, 12:14 AM   #9
VTcommo
Banned

Question Amp SPECS

When you say inaudible do you mean that with 2 channels bridged that it may not even make the sub work? Gotta love cheap amps.

Im in australia dont know if u guyz r, but u know the pre made sub boxes in shops i think they are a cubic foot or sum bullshit like that!?
Would that b ok to run the JBL 12 inch suby? or would i have to get a custom one made up!?

This is what is says on the BOSS BA-4300 amp box, mayb this wil help with the specs! caus i dont know wat is going on, can you explain if any of this is half ok considering it is a shity Boss Amp:
-Variable Low Pass Filter (LPF) : 40Hz~250Hz
-High Pass Filter (HPF): 50Hz~1KHz
-Bass Boost (+5dB @ 100Hz)
-2 OHM Stable Stereo
-Tri-Mode speaker Connection
=4 channel capability
-MOSFET Dc- DC SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY
-0.05% THD
-High and Low adjustable level input
-Frequency Response 10Hz ~ 50 KHz
-Dual Built in protection against high temp and short circuit

Thanks again
Old 10-29-2003, 09:13 AM   #10
ssjwizard
AF Regular

yea one cubic foot should be enough space. sealed boxes sound best aswell.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:12 AM   #11
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Amp SPECS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTcommo
When you say inaudible do you mean that with 2 channels bridged that it may not even make the sub work? Gotta love cheap amps.

No it will have the power, but that woofer just doesn't have the ability to play low
it has a frequency response of 28-450Hz +/- 13dB, which means at 28Hz it will be about 1/3 as loud as when it's at say 50Hz (or wherever it peaks at), and it will keep getting quieter the lower it goes.

The amp doesn't look so bad just by looking at the specs, but a lot of cheaper companies tend to rate their products very "generously". Such as US Acoustics, if you look at the specs they appear to be better than 3/4 of all the amps out there, but in reality my cheap Avionixx sounds 10x cleaner than the US Acoustics did.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 11-06-2003, 03:50 AM   #12
VTcommo
Banned

Thumbs up Funny fake Boss amp.

Do you guyz want to hear sumthing more pathetic then my "Boss Audio" Amp? I sent an email to BOSS asking for the specs caus i could find any on the net or anywhere, they replyed saying that it is not one of their units that some company has just used their logos and shit!
So not only do i have a shit amp but a fake shit amp! ahah
So it probably will produce no more power then a AAA battery.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:59 AM   #13
VTcommo
Banned

Ey guys, wat does the 2 Ohm stable stereo mean about the my amp? the specs r above, it is 4 channel though. So can u still run it 4 channel effectively?
Would u recommend bridgeing all 4 channels for the sub? instead of 2 channels for sub and 2 channels for the 6x9s?
Thanks guyz
Old 11-08-2003, 03:08 AM   #14
911S_TARGA_RSR
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: SUB BOX and AMP

My advice, sell it on ebay. Then buy an actual amp.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:11 AM   #15
VTcommo
Banned

Yer, but i cant b fucked selling it
Im just going to keep the piece of shit so can u give me sum advice?
Thanks