Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
rulemob
AF Newbie

1990 Geo Metro using oil

I have a 1990 geo metro 1.0 liter with 73000 miles and it seems to use a quart of oild every 300 miles. It's not smoking out the tail pipe and not leaving a puddle on the ground. I can't figure out where the oil is going. I tried some CD2 MAXX oil treatment its supposed to stop smoke and oil leaks but it didnt help. Any ideas car still runs great awesomw gas mileage average about 35 mpg.
rulemob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
mtran2000
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Geo Metro using oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulemob
I have a 1990 geo metro 1.0 liter with 73000 miles and it seems to use a quart of oild every 300 miles. It's not smoking out the tail pipe and not leaving a puddle on the ground. I can't figure out where the oil is going. I tried some CD2 MAXX oil treatment its supposed to stop smoke and oil leaks but it didnt help. Any ideas car still runs great awesomw gas mileage average about 35 mpg.
My 1995 Metro with 129,000 has the same problem. What I did and has helped a lot is when engine is a quart low I add Lucas oil stabilizer. Really reduced oil consumption. I do not sell the product, it is available at most auto parts stores.

Let me know if you try it and results.

Mark
mtran2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
mowfixer
AF Newbie

If you havn't already done so try changing your PCV valve. My metro started using huge amounts of oil and I found the PCV totally clogged as well as the hose connected to it. The hose was blocked with goo. A new on fixed the problem and all has been well for the past year.
mowfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
mtran2000
AF Newbie

DoctorBill help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowfixer
If you havn't already done so try changing your PCV valve. My metro started using huge amounts of oil and I found the PCV totally clogged as well as the hose connected to it. The hose was blocked with goo. A new on fixed the problem and all has been well for the past year.
Doctorbill I seem to recall you having very clear pictures of where PCV valve is and how to change it, can't seem to find the thread. Please help

Mark
Old 04-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
pspringe
AF Newbie

The PCV is on top of the intake, right behind the valve cover. There a hose that connects the PCV, valve cover and the big plastic round intake. It's under the hose.
pspringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
mtran2000
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspringe
The PCV is on top of the intake, right behind the valve cover. There a hose that connects the PCV, valve cover and the big plastic round intake. It's under the hose.
Thanks but I am not too mechanical and I seem to recall doctorbill had great picture.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
RossT
AF Regular

I have a 93 with 55,000 miles and it was doing the same thing. I was using a quart every 250 miles and it was not blowing blue out the back. I too was wondering what was going on. The cat more than likely was taking care of the oil, which is bad in the long run.

Number 1 thing to do when burning oil is to change your PCV valve. It is cheap and easy to do.

If that doesn't help, you will need to find a friend with a compression tester. Follow this thread;

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=24601

It is easy to do and will tell you if you have bad rings (more than likely causethat is what my problem was) or bad head gasket or burn valve. If you car is running OK, not missing, you more than likely have a stuck ring. If that is the case, you will need to have the engine replaced or the at least the rings replaced and it sounds like that is above your skill level.

You can get JDM engine for about $400 on e-bay. In my other geo I did a JDM and in my 93 I did a remanufactured engine that cost me $800 on e-bay.

You other alternative is to have some one help you and remove the head and replace the rings yourself. This would be the cheapest, if it's only rings that are your problem.

If your car continues to burn oil, your going to end up plugging up your EGR system and burn a valve on #3 because of this. You will alse eventually distroy your cat.
RossT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
RossT
AF Regular

Here is how to test you PCV

RossT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
rulemob
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the info will check pcv valve first.
rulemob is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro