Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 10:04 AM   #1
autofan
AF Newbie

Copperhead looks too good to cost only $25 K!!
But it will! That's what dodge wants to sell it for

Chrysler Co. ::

Detroit, Mich. -- Chrysler Corporation today unleashed another snake concept into its den of enthusiast sports cars - but it's a pit Viper of a different color. The Dodge Copperhead concept car, perhaps a perfect stablemate for the Dodge Viper, was unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

"If Dodge Viper is credited for re-inventing the Shelby Cobra, then Dodge Copperhead should be credited for re-inventing a car in the tradition of the Austin Healey 3000," said John E. Herlitz, Chrysler Corporation's Vice President of Product Design. "Copperhead will fit comfortably into any sports car enthusiast's garage -- and budget."

Dodge Copperhead is a Copper Fire Orange, front engine, rear-wheel-drive, two-seat roadster convertible. While comparisons to the Dodge Viper are inevitable, Copperhead strikes its own distinct image with its sleek dimensions. Compared to its older sibling, the Dodge Viper (also introduced as a show car six years ago), Copperhead is three inches narrower, eight inches shorter, and has an extra 12 inches of wheelbase.

"Copperhead will be the sports car of choice for those enthusiasts who like lithe, aerodynamic treatments combined with a low center of gravity," said K. Neil Walling, Chrysler Corporation's Design Director. "We designed Copperhead to look fast by utilizing minimal overhang and pushing the wheels way out to the front and rear corners. Copperhead offers another exciting design proportion for the Dodge brand."

When conceiving the Copperhead, Chrysler designers incorporated proportional lessons learned during the development of Plymouth Prowler, proportions which emphasize a sports car ancestry and street rod heritage. Designers achieved Copperhead's sleek dimensions by moving the front and rear wheels to the limits of the vehicle's frame. The styling cue is enhanced with cast aluminum wheels (18"x8"/front, 20"x9" rear), making for an almost serpentine vehicle profile. An air scoop grille, deep-set quad headlamps, elongated hood with dual air scoops, drastically-sloped windshield and scaled-down dorsal fin on the rear decklid contribute to the Copperhead's sinuous feel.

Copperhead's interior is designed to complement the exterior and features contoured bucket seats with an unconventional Deep Amethyst snakeskin-like leather finish. The tachometer is placed at the centerline of the driver while gauges, HVAC, radio/cassette controls are smartly placed in the center stack. The center console features a gear shift and door lock/window controls. When viewed in its entirety, the center console and instrument pod has an uncanny likeness to the head of a copperhead snake.

Copperhead's performance is defined by an all-new, aluminum block, high-output 2.7 liter four cam V-6 which churns out 220 horsepower. The vehicle's powerplant is coupled with a close ratio, five-speed manual transmission, which ensures the necessary power for immediate torque and traction. Copperhead's significant footprint and wide tires (complete with snakeskin tread) provide stability and precise handling.

A short-and-long arm (SLA) coil/shock front and rear suspension provides comfort and handling. With a mere five inches of ground clearance, the Copperhead provides sports car enthusiasts with what they crave most -- a true feel for the machine and road combined.

Edited by: autofan
autofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2000, 02:39 PM   #2
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
It would be wonderful news, if it wasn't 6 years old. As far as I know, the Copperhead concept was scrapped long ago.

----------
"Ferrari isn't a car, it's a lifestyle"
-Enzo Ferrari.
enzo@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2000, 02:44 PM   #3
porsche911
AF Newbie

i dont understand why they killed it though, it looks so good. :{
porsche911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2000, 10:07 PM   #4
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
I agree, this thing looks like a winner, especially at that price. The good news for Chrysler is that they have other promising potentials on the horizon.

The new Charger, if released, will be awesome, and is one such hopeful. The concept version has foud doors, which I really like. Sure, the purists will scream bloody murder at the butchering of another age-old American sports car tradition, but times they are changing. The new Mazda rotary-engined sports car also wears four-door sheet metal, which illustrates that Chrysler is not alone in this mentality. And one should remember to look at the example of the effectiveness of the BMW M3 sedan if they are not convinced that a car can wear four doors and still call itself a sports car.

If the manufacturers can squeeze in a second pair of doors, without drastically lengthening the car or impeding handling ability, I say more power to them. If people want sports cars with practicality, by all means, let them eat cake.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 07:43 PM   #5
enzo@af
Old Mod

I definitely think the headlights could use some fixing, but yes, it's a beautiful car.

----------
"Ferrari isn't a car, it's a lifestyle"
-Enzo Ferrari.
enzo@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 08:20 PM   #6
Mint
AF Newbie

Ahh, looking at this makes you realize that its a shame how many concepts are scrapped...Ive seen a lot that I've been like WOW over, and all that happens is they scrap it, and release another slow family sedan or something..Its dissapointing
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 06:38 PM   #7
John98R/T
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to John98R/T
The Copperhead is a nice car, but as someone already said it has been in the works for a long time, if they ever do produce it, people would flock to it, just like when the Viper and the PT Cruiser(yuck!)
Peace.....
John98R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 08:05 PM   #8
enzo@af
Old Mod

they aren't going to produce it.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:23 PM   #9
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
What's the reason for not producing it though?
Anyone know?:smoker2:
Old 05-01-2001, 08:34 PM   #10
John98R/T
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to John98R/T
Because it is cool!

Don't hate the player, Hate the game.
John98R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 11:38 PM   #11
enzo@af
Old Mod

I don't know the reason they didn't produce it. Probably just thought it wasn't going to sell too well.
Old 05-07-2001, 12:57 PM   #12
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Every manufacturer realized they could turn a larger profit with those hulking SUVs then with anything else.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 05-07-2001, 03:20 PM   #13
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

Ya, next it's going to be Jaguar and then Ferrari. I'll dread that day.:cry:

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:23 AM   #14
CorvetteMan
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CorvetteMan
Thumbs up COOL CAR

I THINK IT MIGHT TAKE OVER THE VIPER EVENTUALLY WHEN AND IF IT COMES OUT. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK.:sun:
CorvetteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 09:09 PM   #15
What ya Smoking?!?
AF Enthusiast

sweet car!:bandit: :smoka: :smoker2: :ylsuper