Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
angieknix
AF Newbie

96 Cavalier squealing noise

My daughters 96 cav has a bad squeal coming from serpintine belt. I triedbelt dressing and it threw the belt. I didn't notice any cracks/dry rotting on belt. I put the belt back on but it is still squealing. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
angieknix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 96 Cavalier squealing noise

Does it have the correct belt? Does the tensioner have sufficient tension? There should be 3 indicator marks on it. One on the spring side and two on the fixed side. With the belt installed the single index mark should line up between the 2 opposite from it. If not replace the tensioner. Remove and inspect the belt. Look for cracks or torn ribs. Check all pulleys by hand, spinning them and twisting them sideways. Look for bearing roughness when spinning and excessive play sideways. Any roughness or excessive play components need replacing. Check all pulleys the belt goes around. See if the belt tensioner and idler pulleys are cocked. Use a straight edge to see if all pulleys are coplanar. That is they run in line with each other. HTH
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis