Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
DavidLang
AF Newbie

Check Valve In Head

I rebuilt the head on my 91 3cyl and I remember a small brass check valve between the head and the block. What happens if you put it in the wrong way?
I think I got it right but am not 100% convinced. Thanks for your reply.
DavidLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
RossT
AF Regular

Re: Check Valve In Head

It might be kind of hard to put it in the wrong way. It looks like a screw and the thinnger part goes down and the wider part stays up.

If you have not started the engine yet, I would open it up. Don't worry about the headbots reuse either, I have done this twice.

#1 Was a JDM engine. It took the engine apart to replace all the gaskets, I got it all back together and I was ready to install it. I stepped on something, and sure enough it was the check valve. I opened it up again, inserted the valve reused the bots and headgasket and all is fine.

#2 Was a reman engine that I put into another geo. I too opened it up to check to make sure the valve was there and to ensure the oil drainback holes in the head gasket were big enough. I reused the headbolts, but replaced the headgasket and all if fine.

It is un upsidedown, you will get more oil into the top of the head. As long as your drainback. While the car is running open the oil cap and see if oil is pooling in the valve cover. Is oil getting into the air cleaner? If not, you are OK..

here are some threads:

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=30672

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=27747

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.p...ight=oil+valve
RossT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
DavidLang
AF Newbie

Thanks RossT,

I've been batteling an oil leak that appears to be coming from around the oil pan gasket near the flywheel. Not understanding the function of the valve until now, I thought maybe if I put the check valve in wrong, pressure might build up and breech the gasket. I think I can move on to the next phase of troubleshooting this. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Crvett69
AF Moderator

run your fingers under the distributor at rear of engine. often the o-ring on the dist body where it goes into the engine will leak and the oil will then run down underneath the engine and look like a rear main or pan leak.
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
DavidLang
AF Newbie

Thanks Crvett69,

I'll check that. I had the pan off and on using different gaskets and sealers but I still see a drip after driving at highway speeds. I'll check the distributer and post what I find out.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro