Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Smitty's Buick
AF Newbie

Trunk Leak

Hello Fellow Intruigers! I am drying out the trunk of the 99 Intrigue today after the seemingly endless pattern of rain we've had. During one of the storms, I was trying to put someting into the trunk when I noticed water leaking from one of the body seams near the left rear shock tower.

I have read somewhere in here before (but can't find it now ) that this is a known problem with a defninitive fix. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!!!

Smitty's Buick
Smitty's Buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: Trunk Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty's Buick View Post
Hello Fellow Intruigers! I am drying out the trunk of the 99 Intrigue today after the seemingly endless pattern of rain we've had. During one of the storms, I was trying to put someting into the trunk when I noticed water leaking from one of the body seams near the left rear shock tower.

I have read somewhere in here before (but can't find it now ) that this is a known problem with a defninitive fix. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!!!

Smitty's Buick
Type " trunk leaking " into the " search function " at the top of the page and all associated threads in the archive should come up . Good luck !
Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Smitty's Buick
AF Newbie

Hey, oldblu. I tried the search option with quite a few different combinations and didn't find what I was looking for. I tried using options with and without "Intrigue", "Grand Prix", etc..

I'm hoping that someone out there remembers this and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks, guys!
Smitty's Buick
Smitty's Buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
pfofit
AF Newbie

Got a picture with the location of the leak?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
fhofstra
AF Newbie

Smitty -
I clicked on "search this forum" and entered "trunk leak". That gave me 9 results. Give it a try; some of the posts may be helpful to you.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

See AF->Jaguar->S Type Boot & Bonnet (Trunk/hood) leak, http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=893556
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
carbon02
AF Regular

There's actually a TSB issued for certain years of the Intrigue. Service Bulletin mentions to open the trunk. Looking at the top lid where the trunk strut attaches to the lid, look at the hem seam flange that goes all the way around the trunk lid, this is where the metal is folded over and welded to create the trunk lid. It mentions the cure is to run silicone caulk all the way around the inside of the trunk weld hem flange on the lid. If done carefully you will not see it from the outside.

It specifically mentions that while technicians believe it's the spoiler, 99% of the time it's not.

This doesn't involve the gasket for the trunk, which is NOT part of the trunk lid.

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue, 3.5L, GX --81,000 Miles sitting in garage awaiting shift kit P1811, and potential water crossover gasket repair.
carbon02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Jimmy Olsen
AF Regular

Talking Re: Trunk Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon02 View Post
There's actually a TSB issued for certain years of the Intrigue. Service Bulletin mentions to open the trunk. Looking at the top lid where the trunk strut attaches to the lid, look at the hem seam flange that goes all the way around the trunk lid, this is where the metal is folded over and welded to create the trunk lid. It mentions the cure is to run silicone caulk all the way around the inside of the trunk weld hem flange on the lid. If done carefully you will not see it from the outside.

It specifically mentions that while technicians believe it's the spoiler, 99% of the time it's not.

This doesn't involve the gasket for the trunk, which is NOT part of the trunk lid.
Good information. One day I checked my spare tire and the wheel well was full of water. Bailed it all out and checked it again a few months later. Was full of water again. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the wheel well and all the water drained out and that was the end of the problem. Now I know where the water was coming from. I thought it as from the spoiler. Anyway, the car is now in Las Vegas so I'm not that concerned about rain anymore.
Jimmy Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote