Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
zerobailey
AF Newbie

Ticking/Clicking noise under the hood

Hey There!
I drive a 2001 Toyota Tacoma: 3.4L, 4WD, manual, 97000 miles. There is a clicking/ticking noise under the hood in the drivers side corner closest to the windshield, near the brake and clutch fluid tanks. I'm getting my timing belt changed tomorrow cuz its never been changed.... maybe thats it?

I dunno... Any ideas?

Thanks.
zerobailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
2240norman
AF Newbie

Re: Ticking/Clicking noise under the hood

hi, have a '04 tacoma, the same 3.4L with 98k on it and have posted a very similar thread. At first the tapping noise sounded like it was coming from the same side of the engine, however the more i listened to it, i think i've traced it coming from the timing area. I defenently think its related to the timing belt, but dunno yet til i replace mine. Do you hear that noise with it sitting still in gear? i have noticed on my truck that with it running in park i don't hear the ticking noise, but as soon as i put it in gear it puts a load on the engine and thats when i hear the tapping fade in. i had someone tell me that its the belt flopping against the timing cover at low idle, because maybe the timing belt tensioner is weakening ( its oil pressure fed, so at low idle the oil pressure is naturally low, causing the tensioner not to be able to produce proper tension) if this was the case, at low idle i do think the belt would have some slop in it until you give it some gas the oil pressure would pickup providing more tension to the belt. This is something i have yet to do to my truck so if your timing belt fixes the problem or whatever you do fixes the problem, let me know..thanks martin
2240norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
zerobailey
AF Newbie

Yeah, I think it was the timing belt. I just had mine replaced (I was past the 90,000 mile recommended interval anyway) and the ticking noise is now gone.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
4Wheel
AF - Advisor

Thank you for posting back, you just helped 2240 norman and many others by posting your results.
4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
zerobailey
AF Newbie

Actually, you know what?!... I listened to it again today and the ticking is still there! Damn!

Sorry guys. I thought that was it. Bummer.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
backwater
AF Newbie

i have 2006 Tacoma Access, 12k. I also have a slight ticking noise, drivers side, above the tire. I hear the tick tick tick while in park or in drive, though i cant really hear the tick unless im in a tighter area so the sound bounces and comes back to me. I know shit about vehicles. Could anyone lend a message and tell what the hell this is? Still under warranty. Is this typical? First time owning a truck.
backwater is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma