Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 11:49 PM   #1
strodda
AF Enthusiast

blown ride

well my shocks are already blown, so i was wondering how switching to coilovers would affect my ride quality? i just have springs now, and it seems smooth except when going over a big bump. would coils make for a stiffer ride even with blown shocks?
Old 10-02-2002, 08:27 AM   #2
luti
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to luti
If your going to the trouble of changing your springs why would you not install new shocks?
Old 10-03-2002, 06:47 AM   #3
CivicSiRacer
Civic Mod

Send a message via ICQ to CivicSiRacer Send a message via AIM to CivicSiRacer
Re: blown ride

Quote:
Originally posted by strodda
well my shocks are already blown, so i was wondering how switching to coilovers would affect my ride quality? i just have springs now, and it seems smooth except when going over a big bump. would coils make for a stiffer ride even with blown shocks?
Your shocks are blown and you are going to install coilovers on blown shocks? Doesn't sound very smart.
Buy my Civic parts!
CivicSiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 12:55 AM   #4
strodda
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by CivicSiRacer

Your shocks are blown and you are going to install coilovers on blown shocks? Doesn't sound very smart.
well thats why i asked. ive never had personal experience with coilovers, so i didnt know how it would affect evrything.

and about gettin new struts, i dont have money for it right now. but i could get the coils for free, and i already know how to install them.

one more thing. i know this has been asked a million times. but when i do get new struts, which should i get? koni yellow, kybAGX, kybGR2, or any other that would be good. what would cause a new set of struts to blow?? i remember reading on here somewhere that it happened to someone(i forget who). i do want to get new struts, and of course coilovers at the same time. i saw a full set of kyb gr2's on ebay for $160. is that any good?
Old 10-04-2002, 06:53 AM   #5
CivicSiRacer
Civic Mod

Send a message via ICQ to CivicSiRacer Send a message via AIM to CivicSiRacer
Quote:

well thats why i asked. ive never had personal experience with coilovers, so i didnt know how it would affect evrything.

and about gettin new struts, i dont have money for it right now. but i could get the coils for free, and i already know how to install them.

one more thing. i know this has been asked a million times. but when i do get new struts, which should i get? koni yellow, kybAGX, kybGR2, or any other that would be good. what would cause a new set of struts to blow?? i remember reading on here somewhere that it happened to someone(i forget who). i do want to get new struts, and of course coilovers at the same time. i saw a full set of kyb gr2's on ebay for $160. is that any good?
If your shocks are blown putting coilovers will just amplify the problem even more.

If you can save for it get Koni Yellows. What coilovers are you getting? If you cannot afford TOkicos Illuminas will work too.
Buy my Civic parts!
CivicSiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 06:33 PM   #6
delsolsi
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

what would cause a new set of struts to blow??
Springs that are too stiff for the struts will cause them to wear out very fast because they cant control the spring and that is what their job is. This is why when someone lowers there car but doesn't upgrade their struts they end up with a bouncy ride.
delsolsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 01:51 AM   #7
strodda
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by CivicSiRacer

If your shocks are blown putting coilovers will just amplify the problem even more.

If you can save for it get Koni Yellows. What coilovers are you getting? If you cannot afford TOkicos Illuminas will work too.
well the free set were arospeed. cheap, i know, but free none the less. and if i was gonna use them i didnt care how they beat up on mu struts. when i buy a set, im not sure what im gonna get. i know im not going all out with the popular gc's, i dont care about spending that much. i pretty much just want something that works. im not going to be constantly changing height, i just want to adjust it to the exact way i like and keep it there. if i end up waiting on this stuff, i might just use my tax refund and get the koni's, but if i dont how are those gr2's??? and i dont care about adjustability.