Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
papashaq
AF Newbie

Turn key and no start/crank...bat is good!

Hi guys, Thanks in advance for any help, I have a 01 2500HD Crew cab with the 6.0. Tonight I stopped at the gas station to grab some milk. When I came back out the truck would not do anything when I turned the key. Battery was good, lights came on and everything normal except that the starter would not crank. No clicks or anything. Now This happened to me several times before, once in a while. did the same thing 3 months ago, and about 2 before that...and so on. Usually if I just sit there holding the key in the start position it would eventually just crank...no moving or hitting or wiggling...just sat in truck and held key in start. Well tonight it didn't had to have the wife come get me. From what I read on here, and this specific symptom says bad starter to me. But why so spaced out? Seems fishy. I rigged up a big cresent wrench and a folder to hold the key in the start position (don't ask!) as I wiggled wires and banged on the starter with another wrench, and it did no good. Any ideas, or should I just get it towed to my garage and replace starter?

Also as a side note...many times usually while sitting idle, my fuel gauge will jump around and land on E and Low fuel light comes on. Then when I drive away or hit brake, it will return to normal. I think it is just the sending unit, but.......

Very intermitenly I will notice that sometimes when I get in my truck the radio will be turned off (something I never do) and the clock will be at 12:00. Presets are still there though. but almost like the battery had been diconected. Could all these symptoms be one cluster f#*K of an electrical problem, or independant cases? Thanks again for any help, I just hope that the truck starts when I go to it in the morn...save a tow charge anyhow. Thanks, Jason
papashaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
papashaq
AF Newbie

Re: Turn key and no start/crank...bat is good!

UPDATE

Alright, so I went to the truck this morn and again it would not start, turn key and nothing happens. So I went to home to collect my thoughts, check the forum and decided to call the tow company to tow the truck to my home so I can work on it. I told them I would meet them there, when I got back to the truck I turned key and again nothing, I held it in the start position and just sat there holding it. About 2 minutes later it cranked over with full power like nothing was the matter. Drove it home and shut it off and started it a few times with now problems. Tried again about an hour later, and again no problems. I am going to check all wires to starter and selinoid, as well as the ground wire, make sure they are all clean making good contact...maybe put some dielectric grease on them...(good idea or bad idea?) While I am under there I think I will take the starter off and have it checked, which I am sure will check out fine since it is so intermitant. Do you think I should just spring for a new starter while I have it off, if all conections check out good? I only have 70,000 miles on the truck. Stumped!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

get the battery load tested . make sure the battery cables are clean inside of the boots .
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
rjeffery
AF Regular

Like rockwood said, make sure battery terminals and connections are clean, tight, and corrosion free. Do you have full electrical power when the ignition is on?

Problem sounds electrical, but fuel gauge jumping around leads me to think that the fuel pump may be bad. Do a fuel pressure test to determine if fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator are functioning correctly. Seems unlikely though, because engine would still crank even if fuel pump was shot.

If battery load test checks out, have starter checked at a parts store.
K&N FIPK, Cat Back Exhaust, Rancho RSX Shocks, Silverstar Headlights High & Low, Infinity Reference Door Speakers & 10" Dual Voice Coil Sub. 265/75/16 BFG AT/KO's, Spray-In Bed Liner, Hella FF75 Fog Lights, Hella FF75 Driving Lights.
rjeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
queball727
AF Newbie

ive posted a smilar thread. I am having the same problem but its with an 03 silverado. Ive had the battery and fuel filter replaced. seemed to do ok for a few months then back to the same thing. it seems to me that it does it when the engine is warm. HELP!!!!!!
queball727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

The next time it acts up, check for 12v to both wires on the starter solenoid. The big wire should have power all the time, the small wire only when cranking (or trying to). If either doesn't have power, work backwards from there. If both have power, the starter is bad.

Dielectric grease is never a bad idea. One other thing I would reccomend (if you do end up taking the starter off) is to clean the block where the starter bolts on with a wire brush. Clean the bolts too, and the top of the starter if you don't replace it. If you're as "electrically crazy" as I am, run a 00-guage cable from one of the starter bolts to the frame, and one from the same point on the frame to the factory engine ground. I know it's overkill, but there is .00v from my starter to the battery when cranking.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball727
ive posted a smilar thread. I am having the same problem but its with an 03 silverado. Ive had the battery and fuel filter replaced. seemed to do ok for a few months then back to the same thing. it seems to me that it does it when the engine is warm. HELP!!!!!!
It's not uncommon for a starter solenoid to overheat (2 inches from exhaust) and no allow a re-start until it cools off. There should be a stamped sheet metal heat shield around it, if not, you might want to try to find one.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
knogoodidleft
AF Regular

Your battery can give you full electrical use, but have no cranking amps, but you will get some crank. so, Check the fuses, check the wiring ,and Do as J-Ri said.

Because he drove a ford
knogoodidleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
queball727
AF Newbie

Im not sure what the deal is with my truck and everyone elses. But Im a CHEVY man all the way and I feel like giving up before I have to give thousands to repair it. Its been in the shop before and they didnt find it. I guess the next step is the Chevy dealer but DAMN they are expensive!
queball727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
muff34
AF Enthusiast

check for any technical service bulletins TSB . Here`s a link if you don`t mind spending the sub money http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html before going to dealer. Sometimes the dealers know where to go for certain problems ,where other smaller shops just take a shot in the dark on your dime . Just my
Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
Bob B
AF Regular

This really sounds like a poor connection on the battery.
The bolts can feel tight but aren't. Try to rotate the cables to see if they are tight. Especially when it is failing.
My truck has two cables on the positive and the bolt tightened to the top one but the bottom one wasn't tight.
I bought a special 5/16 six sided wrench that actually ratchets and is made for the post bolts. The bolt heads were starting to round off so I also replaced the bolts, available at the auto parts store.
Bob B
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

it seems g.m. also produced ignition switches that do go out before their supposed too. you said you held the switch for two minutes and it started under full power. you mean you held the switch in the start position for two minutes , correct? if so it could very well be the ignition switch itself.......does it make any sounds when it won't start?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #13
Memphis10
AF Newbie

I've had this exact same problem with my '00 1500. I take a crescent wrench and knock the gas tank a couple times then try to start it. Dad told me some Heet from Walmart would fix the problem also.
Memphis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
papashaq
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood84
it seems g.m. also produced ignition switches that do go out before their supposed too. you said you held the switch for two minutes and it started under full power. you mean you held the switch in the start position for two minutes , correct? if so it could very well be the ignition switch itself.......does it make any sounds when it won't start?
Yes I just sat there not moving and no one touching the truck, held the key in the start position for awhile. Then all of a sudden vroom, starts right up with full cranking power. Thats the part that baffles me so much, where if you think it was a loose connection you would have to actually move some wires, at contact points. But like I said when I had the overnight no start, I checked bat cables and they were fresh and I couldn't move them, I crawled under the truck (which was fun) and moved the cables around on the starter and selinoid, and no movement. Also rapped on the starter with a cresent for a bit. All this while the key was in the start position, and nothing. Returned in the morn, 1st time held key and no luck, 2nd time (1/2 hour later) while waiting for tow, held key in start and she starts right up.

She's been starting just fine for a week now, haven't dug into her yet as this is my plow truck and we've been getting snow and don't want to get caught with my pants down when it's time to go. This has been giving me an ulcer as everytime I need to go out I just pray to God she starts up. Also been in negative degrees, and no heated shop.

It makes no noise while I hold the start position, just a click or 2 from the dash as I turn it to the start.

And, I think someone asked earlier about the where the shift selector was...it was in park, and I tried shifting to N and all other gears then back to P...made no dif.

Hopefully I get into her this week! Thanks for the responses, and I will be looking into all the sugestions this week, and keep you updated, as the more and more I read forums this seems to be happining to a lot of people, and no one has yet to post a solid resolution.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

it clicks in the dash? try this spray some wd40 in the switch then put the key in and turn it a couple of times. just don't spray a whole lot in there one good spray is enough.use the little hose that comes with the can and stick it in the switch as you would the key.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado