Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

RPM thought/question

This is likely for Sherline owners, but if anyone else has a suggestion, feel free to offer advice.

So, I'd like some sort of way to ballpark the rpm of my lathe. I know there is a little paper cut-out thing that you can stick to the side of the spindle pulley, that will sorta give you an indication that it's spinning at, but I'm not sure I really want that (call me snobby).

However, my understanding is that it actually works quite well (with the right lighting), so I was thinking:

- could I just make several 'ticks' around my on/off knob to indicate various rpms? ie. run the lathe up to 1000rpm by checking it with the little paper cut-out thingy, and then just make a little scribe/tick on the switch somehow to indicate that this position is about 1000rpm?
- repeat for various other rpms.

Perhaps two different lathes would have different switch positions for specific rpm outputs, but would mine at least be consistent with itself? If I turned it off, then on again to that same tick mark, would the rpm at least be pretty close to what I measured it at? I think so, but am offering this up to you all for advice/thoughts.

I've just been going by 'feel' lately, but would like at least some way to ballpark my rpms. That way, if someone says, cut X material at 800 rpm, I at least can approximate it, and then adjust it up/down a bit when I'm actually making the cut?

Thoughts, other ideas?

Thanks (swarf and chips are fun.... now if only I could actually make something....)

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: RPM thought/question

Hey Murray-

The paper cutout does work surprisingly well. You just need to use it with florescent lighting (because it flickers at 60hz, at least in the US). Using it as a reference and then marking the speed selector knob seems like it could be worth a try. I'd try it with a narrow tick mark of tape to mark a position or two, and then see if that position will consistently give you that speed. Get five or six data points, and then you could probably draw a scaled index to put around the knob. Dunno if the speeds will be proportional to knob position, or if they would be consistent from one machine to another - but it seems worth a try, and it'd be interesting to find out! (Wonder why noone has made a scale to copy and stick in around the knob before??... )
Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

Re: RPM thought/question

http://www.jeffree.co.uk/pages/speedmeasurement.html

There's something here for both the lazy (like me) and the ambitious...

Enjoy.

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools