Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
rubs
AF Newbie

I30 catalytic converter question

I have a infiniti i30 with 140k miles and Service Engine Soon light on and when I inspect the DTC it says P0430 - which is a Catalytic Converter Inefficiency Low - Bank 2 error.

I have already replaced both Oxygen Sensors and before this the error codes were p138 and p158

I took it to mechanic and was told that this would require front catalytic converter and we need to buy from infiniti since 3rd party are not good and will cost $850, is that correct that we can't use 3rd party for catalytic converters that can cost 1/3 less.

BTW i remove the code manually and went for inspection and it passes but code came back next day.
rubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: I30 catalytic converter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubs View Post
I have a infiniti i30 with 140k miles and Service Engine Soon light on and when I inspect the DTC it says P0430 - which is a Catalytic Converter Inefficiency Low - Bank 2 error.

I have already replaced both Oxygen Sensors and before this the error codes were p138 and p158

I took it to mechanic and was told that this would require front catalytic converter and we need to buy from infiniti since 3rd party are not good and will cost $850, is that correct that we can't use 3rd party for catalytic converters that can cost 1/3 less.

BTW i remove the code manually and went for inspection and it passes but code came back next day.

At least there is one chrystal clear issue: these systems are built to milk us all. Swapping catalyzators makes 'all' CO2 rich... Two fault codes on two sensors doesnt sound to me like one cat. Good you didnt fall directly in that AlGoReal 'fact'.

Cant see any reason anywhere why not use general cat - except revenue. Same factories produce all, use stamps to pump prices for Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes...

Try this route; camry:
"Some vehicles may exhibit a MIL 'ON' Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0138 and/or P0158 (Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 or 2). This condition may be caused by incorrect Air Fuel Ratio Sensor response."
--->MAF
Google more on the two fault codes, dont limit on Nissan, all mfg's are containing the very 'same' idiotic control/fault -systems in their vehicles - based on this papal catalyctic pancake idiocrazy. All this loaded electronic 'clean' (LOL) control was driven in as mandatory in the beginning of 90's - when it appeared that jap car makers were about to run super lean - meaning fuel consumption would drop globally 30%. Here there are still a certain group of lean running cars from that period - containing a special permission to bypass the 'catalyzator tests'.

Firts check charge voltage at idle. Next hang the multimeter on dash, check voltage while driving. Connector cleanup time, see linky below. Especially MAF pins.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
National Catalytic
AF Newbie

There is no good reason to buy a catalytic converter from the dealer for this vehicle. There are several very good manufacturers of OE Replacement catalytic converters on the market at far more affordable prices than what you were quoted at the dealer. Assuming that your I30 is likely about a 2000 or 2001 model, that part should be under $220 provided that the vehicle is not registered in the state of California.

The Maxima/I30 front catalytic converter is one of the most popular parts in my inventory. We have had 100% success with aftermarket / OE Replacements with our In-house brand, Catco and Davico Manufacturing products.
National Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubs View Post
...we need to buy ... catalytic converters ...

... code came back next day.
Sooo? I bet the code comes back even after someone cat-hes 1000$ from your wallet.
--> "oops" says the sale$cat. "We can now swap MAF" ( = another 1000$)

Dont like it? Then demand 'no errorcode warranty'. I am sure now 99,9% of the cat-salesmen decline from this honor. Just tell me why.

Maybe its b/c catalyzators 'never' really fail: if not rusted with holes ... to find out why the CO2-idiots have designed such a erroneu$ -system in the first place, figure out the global cat-sales billions... The O2 sensor behind this input error, works on a pitiful one volt signal level (1Volt). While the computer voltage supply is 12 - 15 times higher. Just tell me why ... See more, clic linky below whattodo to ante up the signal reception.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote