Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Equinox
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
Equinox13
AF Newbie

Re: Ignition keeps getting stuck

I have an '06 Equinox with the same problem, it was starting just fine then the key just wouldn't turn in the ignition after i got off work one night about a week ago. I turned the steering wheel a little thinking that was the problem, key still wouldn't move. After jiggling the key around in the ignition for about 10 mins it started...super frustrating though!! I had been dealing with this for a few days and didn't want to get stranded so i finally broke down and took it into a mechanic. He told me i have to take it to the dealership to get it fixed!! The good news is he figured out how to start it...just mess with the shifter and/or push the brake pedal to the floor while turning the key gently. This is working decently for the time being and I can't afford to get charged an arm and a leg by the dealership....just don't know how long it will last before i get stranded. Anybody know if this is a repair i can put off for a couple months or does it get bad quickly? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Equinox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #17
romandiaz
AF Newbie

30 bucks for the part, socket set, thick paper clip or stylus and this problem is fixed
romandiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
dondude
AF Newbie

we have had a stuck ignition key for a long time but have been living with it by jiggling the key but it has been getting steadily worse. this is what happened today. first of all do NOT change your lock cylinder. there is nothing wrong with it. our key was severly worn out so we got a key made at our local ace hardware store but it didnt help because all you are doing is making a new key from a bad key. it wont help. i thought it was the lock cylinder too so i bought a new one and started to remove the old one but i could never get it out so i gave up. i eventually ended up going to the dealership after trying for three hours to remove the cylinder. well guess what, it was the best thing i ever did. they were actually very cool and honest about it. he called me and told me your lock cylinder is fine. i couldnt believe it. he said its your key. you have to go the dealership and they can make a key that is factory coded to your car. we put the new key in and there you go it works perfectly and feels like a key should feel. problem solved. best $130.00 dollars i ever spent. i dont think a new lock cylinder would have even fixed the problem anyway!
dondude is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Equinox