Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
ptjeepmech
AF Newbie

Replaced combination relay but now no right turn signal!

My left turn signal stopped working all together after months of toggling the hazards to get it to work. I attempted to solder the combination relay myself but bridged two contacts together. I guess I didn't do a good job separating them again cause when I plugged it back in, neither signal worked and it must have burnt out the #20 10a fuse cause the heater control had no power, neither did the heated seats. Also found the #26 15a fuse was blown too. But before I replaced the fuses I got a used combination relay I pulled from a jeep at a junk yard (free). Plugged that in (nothing changed) but then replaced the fuses. Heater control and heated seats came back, had hazards but no directionals. Took used relay out and heated that one up to reactivate the solder, plugged it back in and had a left signal but now no right. Tried to reflow the solder second time but still just the left. Dropped $58 on a new relay at the dealer, plugged that in but still no right signal!! I tried other fuses in those to spots I replaced, pulled everyone of the others and checked them, checked the fuses under the hood and still no right. Any thoughts???? It's driving me nuts now that I know the relay is good (maybe even the used one too) and i must have messed something else up I can't find! Thanks in advance!
ptjeepmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
ptjeepmech
AF Newbie

Re: Replaced combination relay but now no right turn signal!

Well if anyone was wondering, iI figured it out. When I installed the bridged combination flasher, it fried the trace line to the right signal switch sence in the left multi functional switch (turn signal/headlight switch). I found this out by acquiring the wiring diagram, pulling out the multi function switch and testing the conductivity of the left vs. the right once activated. Right was dead, ordered and installed new switch from ebay $56.25 and wala! LESSON: If soldering the combination flasher, try re-flowing first and not adding addtional solder. Also, use the right size solder tip for the area you are working in. Plus side, pretty sure I have another good combination flasher hitting ebay soon!
ptjeepmech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
combination , flasher , relay , signal , solder
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8