Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
dphess
AF Newbie

Another Possible Coolant Problem

I had the headgasket replaced 2 months ago and two days ago. I notice the coolant resivour is low again and I can smell coolant outside the car. The hoses are fine and the car is starting and running fine. Does it sounds like another head gasket or could this be a water pump or something else? Could the head be warp and the gasket not sealing right?

I also had the valve cover gasket and spark plugs and oil change at the same time.. I don't want to drop another $500-$950 into this car.
dphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
InnerDragon103
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to InnerDragon103
Re: Another Possible Coolant Problem

ok if the hoses are fine, check for leaks on the radiator itself... replace the radiator cap if it appears worn or with alot of radiator coolant on the outside of it. Also check the plug on the bottom of the radiator that allows the coolant to drain out, that may be leaking or broken. Check the overflow bottle to make sure that it is not cracked or leaking, and check the hose leading from it to the radiator cap tie in.

If none of this is bad, then unfortunately there may be a bigger problem inside the engine with leaking coolant

Current mods:
Short Ram Intake
Tint
8500K headlights
New sound system, 2 12" subs (600W)
InnerDragon103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
THEFARELANEMAN
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerDragon103
ok if the hoses are fine, check for leaks on the radiator itself... replace the radiator cap if it appears worn or with alot of radiator coolant on the outside of it. Also check the plug on the bottom of the radiator that allows the coolant to drain out, that may be leaking or broken. Check the overflow bottle to make sure that it is not cracked or leaking, and check the hose leading from it to the radiator cap tie in.

If none of this is bad, then unfortunately there may be a bigger problem inside the engine with leaking coolant
I agree 100% with this advice..If you can find the leak from the outside use a coolant pressure tester and see if it helps. Those plastic over flow tanks can crack easily
THEFARELANEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
dphess
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info guys. Well I had it looked at last night by the guy who replaced the headgasket. There was coolant all along the top of the radiator where the metal seem is. So it looks light radiator time. I haven't had any problems with this car until it turned 5 yrs old in April 07.

I just don't want to keep nickel and diming this car to keep it running. It seems like every week there is something going on the car. The clip that holds the stand for the hood is broken and also the gas cap door hing is broken and won't open from inside the card.. This car is starting to aggrevate me.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #5
THEFARELANEMAN
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphess
Thanks for the info guys. Well I had it looked at last night by the guy who replaced the headgasket. There was coolant all along the top of the radiator where the metal seem is. So it looks light radiator time. I haven't had any problems with this car until it turned 5 yrs old in April 07.

I just don't want to keep nickel and diming this car to keep it running. It seems like every week there is something going on the car. The clip that holds the stand for the hood is broken and also the gas cap door hing is broken and won't open from inside the card.. This car is starting to aggrevate me.
These problems are minor.As long as you have a good running engine and solid tranny that car can go several more years with few problems...Spend the 200 bucks and enjoy knowing thats about 1/2 of a car payment
THEFARELANEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
RAREROD74
AF Newbie

wow you paid for a headgasket repair..why ??? did it have a check engine light for code p0300(,1,2,3,4).. i have never seen coolant leak from out side the cylinder head on a 2.5 altima ..as far as coolant level the 2.5 is very hard to purge air from coolant system causing low cabin heat in winter and it might run hot ... you may need your coolant system purged of air pocket to get a accurate diagnoisis of were the coolant is going
RAREROD74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
dphess
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAREROD74
wow you paid for a headgasket repair..why ??? did it have a check engine light for code p0300(,1,2,3,4).. i have never seen coolant leak from out side the cylinder head on a 2.5 altima ..as far as coolant level the 2.5 is very hard to purge air from coolant system causing low cabin heat in winter and it might run hot ... you may need your coolant system purged of air pocket to get a accurate diagnoisis of were the coolant is going
Yes I had to pay for the headgasket repair. I have had this car since April 2002. The headgasket was blown and yes my check engine light was on.

The problem this time is a bad radiator. You can see coolant leaking from the top seam of the radiator. So I a, getting the radiator replaced tomorrow. I had a complete coolant flush a few months ago..
Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
a4gb1
AF Newbie

What do you mean "you may need your coolant system purged of air pocket"?

My problem is I don't have any leaks, fan works but no heat?

What is the correct way to purge the coolent system? Is this something I can do or do I need to take this to a shop?
a4gb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima