Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 11:15 AM   #1
Wyndul
AF Newbie

Question Life of a 3000GT Transmittion?

How long should a 3000GT transmittion last, if the oil has been changed every 3k miles, and all the maintnance has been done on the car(new timing belt, clutch, and water pump)? And the car has not been driven to hard?

Thanks,
Wynn
Wyndul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:34 PM   #2
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

i drive hard and my trans hasn't went out, i'm at 140,000
youngvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:45 PM   #3
stealthgirlniki
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to stealthgirlniki
i drive mine super hard everyday and my car is at 210,000 miles and shifts as smooth as butter... or grease, or whatever...
stealthgirlniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:48 PM   #4
GTOJAY
AF Newbie

Re: Life of a 3000GT Transmittion?

Sorry, couldn't help seeing this in another thread.

"1) it could use a paint job... the paint is chipping
2) the 3rd gear synchro is out... can be replaced if you know much about trannies"
Which of your cars are you talking about? Don't mean to be rude, just worried bout my car, arriving in a couple of weeks from japan and mite have same prob.
Wat do you mean its 3rd synchro is out? Help!
GTOJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:40 AM   #5
stealthgirlniki
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Life of a 3000GT Transmittion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJAY
Sorry, couldn't help seeing this in another thread.

"1) it could use a paint job... the paint is chipping
2) the 3rd gear synchro is out... can be replaced if you know much about trannies"
Which of your cars are you talking about? Don't mean to be rude, just worried bout my car, arriving in a couple of weeks from japan and mite have same prob.
Wat do you mean its 3rd synchro is out? Help!

LoL, I just read this... my boyfriend must have posted this. He has a 3000GT SL. I have the stealth that's for sale, and the 3rd gear synchro is out, which means that it won't go into 3rd gear. This is a very common problem with our cars and it is repairable.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:38 AM   #6
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to talskinyguy
Re: Re: Re: Life of a 3000GT Transmittion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthgirlniki
LoL, I just read this... my boyfriend must have posted this. He has a 3000GT SL. I have the stealth that's for sale, and the 3rd gear synchro is out, which means that it won't go into 3rd gear. This is a very common problem with our cars and it is repairable.
The synco is what makes the gears move the same speed before the mesh together. If the syncro is bad you can shift into that gear, but you have to double clutch to do it. As far as it being a common problem, that is for the TT models only. To replace the sycro the output shaft has to be pulled, the old one pressed off and the new one pressed on. If you can pull the trans and the output shaft then you will save yourself a ton of money, if not then you might as well rebuild the whole thing.
talskinyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:46 AM   #7
stealthgirlniki
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Life of a 3000GT Transmittion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talskinyguy
The synco is what makes the gears move the same speed before the mesh together. If the syncro is bad you can shift into that gear, but you have to double clutch to do it. As far as it being a common problem, that is for the TT models only. To replace the sycro the output shaft has to be pulled, the old one pressed off and the new one pressed on. If you can pull the trans and the output shaft then you will save yourself a ton of money, if not then you might as well rebuild the whole thing.

Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. The synchronizers are a very common problem for both TT and N/A models. Talskinyguy, I'm not sure if you're a member of 3si, but if not, you should check it out (3si.org). Anyway, there are a LOT of N/A people who have these problems and have fixed them. I have spoken to quite a few them, since we are considering fixing mine. Now as far as the output shaft in the TT Models, that is obviously a TT problem, not an N/A problem. The problem with the output shaft is that with very many modifications, it basically becomes useless. It's too small for the car.. that's why a lot of people replace them very often and sometimes with a larger output shaft.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
stealthgirlniki
AF Newbie

OOOH YEA! One more thing.. about double clutching when the synchros are out.. that is true, but only sometimes. Other times it is beyond double clutching. (trust me)
Also, to answer the original transmission question... just hope it wasn't Friday at the production plant! Sometimes I think half of our cars were built with good transmissions and half weren't.. lol...but honestly, I've seen people who drive their 3/S everyday and never have a problem (my boyfriend for example).. and he races his car quite a bit, I don't. He has 210-215,000 miles now and has NEVER even had a synchro problem. With my car, I'm on tranny number 2 and barely drive my car and almost never race it. It's just hard to tell.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #9
GTOJAY
AF Newbie

Re: Life of a 3000GT Transmittion?

Quote:
lol...but honestly, I've seen people who drive their 3/S everyday and never have a problem (my boyfriend for example).. and he races his car quite a bit, I don't. He has 210-215,000 miles now and has NEVER even had a synchro problem. With my car, I'm on tranny number 2 and barely drive my car and almost never race it. It's just hard to tell.
Is your boyfriend's a TT?
GTOJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:30 PM   #10
stealthgirlniki
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Life of a 3000GT Transmittion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJAY
Is your boyfriend's a TT?
No, his is an SL.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #11
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to talskinyguy
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Life of a 3000GT Transmittion?

Quote:
Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. The synchronizers are a very common problem for both TT and N/A models. Talskinyguy, I'm not sure if you're a member of 3si, but if not, you should check it out (3si.org). Anyway, there are a LOT of N/A people who have these problems and have fixed them. I have spoken to quite a few them, since we are considering fixing mine. Now as far as the output shaft in the TT Models, that is obviously a TT problem, not an N/A problem. The problem with the output shaft is that with very many modifications, it basically becomes useless. It's too small for the car.. that's why a lot of people replace them very often and sometimes with a larger output shaft.
I should have made myself a litlle more clear, I didnt do too good of a job. The sycros are more of a problem on the TT's than the N/A's because of the heavyer internals in the trans. They end up wearing down faster, and are harder to find if you try to buy them. The output shaft I was refering to isnt the same one that everyone strips as soon as they put a considerable amount of power to it. Its the output shaft in the transmision that the gears and syncros are on. Every MTX ever made has one. Maybe im using the wrong name, but I know the spacific part im thinking of.

Im talskinyguy on 3si.
talskinyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:40 PM   #12
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

funny you guys mentioned this cause its happening to me right now.
instead of double clutching i just push in the clutch and wait about 3 sec then push in. my hydraulic system or whatever is gone horrible and my master cylinder is also done for and filled with liquid. so i'll be spending about aahhhh $800, how bout that ha.

just my dang luck
youngvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth