Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #46
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Re: AT THE TRACK: Need more front grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1h View Post
All good points, sometimes brian forgets we all don't have 450hp! (yes even the stock GTS has 400+hp) LOL
Yes Eric, in Brian's case that would be 450RWHP so around 525hp at the flywheel. Most importantly though, Brians car will have absolutely loads of torque to slingshot the car out of corners.

I have yet to beat my old 1976 classic racers (car the Panoz replaced) times around my local track in the Panoz. The difference being the Panoz's current 335RWHP Vs the classics 460RWHP.

The difference is like night and day, especially on a track with not so many low speed corners where the average speeds are high and you need hp on the straights to "do the business". The old car had the drag coefficient of a Kenworth truck but man could it haul butt in the top end. I had tuned it so peak torque was at 6000rpm and peak hp at 7000rpm. The engine did not drop below 5000rpm on a good lap so spent all ist time from 5000 - 7000.

Have got the Panoz (in enduro trim) to within 1 second of previous best times in the last car and will go a lot faster with a little more straight line speed. I know the Panoz would kill the other car on most other New Zealand circuits though where there are more slow corners. The other thing that I know is that the old classic engine was so highly strung that it wouldnt last a 1 hour race little lone a 6 hour race............!!

Kel.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
NZGTRA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #47
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

500 FWHP and LOADS of torque........

GIANT tires too....
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #48
eric1h
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by panozracing View Post
500 FWHP and LOADS of torque........

GIANT tires too....
See! CHEATER! lol

GT-WC #22 (now #62 and Blue)

eric1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #49
eric1h
AF Enthusiast

My only hope is the 300lbs I shaved off my car, will still only be @ 380whp INITIALLY, going up over 430-450whp once i get it al sorted out, but should be sub 2500lbs without driver! at least I hope!

Oh and the new engine is 4" farther back, and almost 4-5" lower! so that should lower the center of gravity quite nicely!

Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #50
boothkc
AF Regular

Brian,
we just ordered the wheels from CCW a few months ago. They are spec for the GTS in SCCA GT2 and are 2 piece welded aluminum 18x10 front and 18x11 rear. I believe they also have 18x12s, but not legal in GT2. I'm pretty sure that 8 wheels were $6k and change or about $750 each direct from John at CCW.

Kevin
boothkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #51
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

I thought Joel told me before he left PAD that the 3-peice CCW wheels are the spec? I guess not. Its too bad the 3-peice are cheaper (around 450 ea when I bought them) and they can be repaired when you smack them up. The only downside is they are softer.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/wheelpr...php?id=Classic

Isnt this the current SCCA rules for the GTS:
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%2...ozGTSRules.pdf
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #52
boothkc
AF Regular

Brian,
maybe they are the 3 piece wheels from CCW. When I called them I thought the 18x12" (non SCCA spec) were 3pc and the 18x11 rears were 2pc, but cant remember for sure....I just know that I didn't get the 12" wides 'cause they didn't meet spec for us and the 11" cost as above.

KB
Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #53
Panoz Paul
AF Newbie

Greetings !!! In a early posting ; there was a mention of a new Hooser Tire that took heat cycles very well ... Is this the R-6 or some thing that was just released ???
The other question ; what did you experience when / why did you disable the sway bar w/ the 750 -- 550 set-up ???

Thanks / Paul M. Winship

Last edited by Panoz Paul; 06-09-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: another thought / ???
Panoz Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #54
Dawgfan
AF Regular

I have tried the R 6 and loved them. A lot of grip and really good tire. Ran them part of 2 weekends and still look and feel new.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #55
boothkc
AF Regular

Paul,
the new Hoosier slicks are the tire I was talking about. These are not the same as the DOT legal R6 tires that also work well, but are about 3 sec slower on our car (GTS). Grip is better with the slick, but they are not as forgiving. Currently only available in 18" but maybe 17" this summer per Hoosier.

Call Hoosier for availability they are easy to work with.

Kevin
Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #56
Panoz Paul
AF Newbie

Well ; The 750 / 550 set-up is in ; Fantastic !!! I left the sway bar in , but took just about all the rake out of the car ... Sits almost dead level front to rear .... Sticks like velcro , corner 2 in 5th , carousel into a sweeping "S" solid in 3rd ... Braking improved too , less diving , rebound for exit improved ... The twichy ness that others have note from earlier threads maybe from the rear to high ???
Lower the rake ... Try it ; you'll like it ...
Paul M. Winship
Panoz Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #57
eric1h
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz Paul View Post
Well ; The 750 / 550 set-up is in ; Fantastic !!! I left the sway bar in , but took just about all the rake out of the car ... Sits almost dead level front to rear .... Sticks like velcro , corner 2 in 5th , carousel into a sweeping "S" solid in 3rd ... Braking improved too , less diving , rebound for exit improved ... The twichy ness that others have note from earlier threads maybe from the rear to high ???
Lower the rake ... Try it ; you'll like it ...
Paul M. Winship
See, told you! :-D pull the rear sway, you'll stick even better! It really does make a huge difference

Old 04-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #58
|Drew|
AF Newbie

Wow, never saw this thread blow up. Lots of good info. I'm going back out to TWS this weekend but on Hoosiers. I'm going to see how it feels again and then read through a lot of this some more and go from there.

Luckily I'll have a pro driving coach with me there on Sunday who will also help me dial it in.

FWIW, about what do the GTWCs weigh? I'm running TTS with NASA, and with only 270rwhp I shouldn't have to worry about not weighing enough, but was just curious.
#21 GT-WC when time permits
#17 BMW E30 LeMons racer
|Drew| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #59
|Drew|
AF Newbie

And after reliving the scenario and thinking about it more, and learning a little more about suspension, I believe the rake isn't setup properly. I'm going to check out the front end when I get there. It never felt like I had much weight on the front in, just not much feel to the steering wheel and it always felt like I was tip-toeing into the corners. I prefer a little less rear grip.

Also, that was on old Pirellis, this time I'll be on semi-old Hoosiers. Hopefully I can win 2 new Hoosiers this weekend!
#21 GT-WC when time permits
#17 BMW E30 LeMons racer
|Drew| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #60
PanozDuke
AF Regular

Drew,
They weigh about 2800 + -50 w/o driver unless you've done things to lighten them. I think rake is very important for these cars. I think the steering feels a little dead because it is power and not that quick. Eric Hardcastle (EricH) went to a 2003/04 Cobra rack on his WC that made it quicker. A couple of guys (CRS) went to manual and seemed to like it better for feel. Hope to visit TWS this weekend and see you run.

Mike
PanozDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS