Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
snoopymccormick
AF Newbie

humming noise on acceleration?

We test drove a 1999 Venture today (147,000 miles) and she runs really well. The only qualm I have is a strange humming noise anytime you touch the gas pedal. The only way I know how to describe it is a "gas lisp." LOL. Is this like an air intake problem, or something scarier (and costlier)than that??

I currently own a 1998 Venture which I am still in love with (313,000+ wonderful proud happy miles, but sadly both engine and tranny are dying on me ) and I have never had anything similar to this happen with it.

Before I consider buying it, I will definitely have my mechanic take a look at it (if it's still available Friday) but I am just wondering if it's something bigger is it even worth paying to have my mechanic look it over?
snoopymccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
bleepster
AF Regular

Re: humming noise on acceleration?

not sure if this is simalr or not.

we have a 2004 venture. on acceleration we get a "whistle" (perhaps my whistle is your humm????) its the throttle body. as air goes through it, it makes a whistle. once done accelerating and I reach the speed I want, the whistel goes away. does your humm go away once you reach your desired speed?
bleepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
olivercat
AF Newbie

2001 Chev Venture with what I would describe as a 'whirring' on acceleration. (Some noise always present louder on acceleration).
Initial suggestion to replace Power Steering Pump did not fix issue, now they say its the bearing in the AC Compressor. Quote on parts and labour for Compressor replacement $1200 Canadian. In my mind not worth it for a 10 year old vehicle.
olivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
mhall02
AF Newbie

The only noise I had on my '99 Montana that became louder during engine acceleration (not vehicle speed, engine speed) was the whine it made when the pulley was going bad on my serp. belt tensioner. It eventually locked up and threw the belt, fortunately it was in front of the house. Easy swap, new one is quiet as a mouse. Part is ~$40 and only one bolt holds it on, you might try it?

313,000 miles on your Venture, that is amazing. My Montana is a model year '99, build date of '98. Hopefully it is as good as yours, I'm at 198,000 right now. Transmission was rebuilt & intake manifold gasket (X2) was replaced under warranty, at under 100,000 miles. I'm wondering if I should give to old girl up, but it keeps running well, but then again, I'm pretty uptight with the preventative maint. Its packed with our kids so I'm starting to get a little nervous with it at nearly 200,000 miles. You give me hope that she has more good life!!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
paprius4030
AF Newbie

99's were a good year. I had a 99 and we put 205k on it before we sold it to get a low mileage 04. The only thing besides good maintaince that it needed was a new intake gasket (under warranty) and a cracked exhaust manifold and a water pump. It's still running around town here it must have close to 250 k on it now. Too bad it's rusting out though

04 Chevy Venture Plus Extended
2/08 to.....
paprius4030 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
acceleration , venture
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture