Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

steering axle question/video

The questions are in the video. I dont think i did the left side completely right but anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrD6DOjUUYw

and there is no rice tastic rolla in here.
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: steering axle question/video

The end of the axle ( inside the transmission ) has a spring clip ( that sits in a groove on the axle ) on it . It's doubtful you could pull it out just using your hands . Take a screwdriver and catch the axle close to the transmission and pry it outward . It should pop right out . Be careful as you pry on the transmission case - you don't want to break anything ! When you get it out , you'll see the clip I mentioned . Make sure the clip is on there when you reinstall the axle and also make sure the clip reengages when you put it back ( by pulling on the axle and making sure it won't come back out ) . Your video showed your problem - getting the axle out - but you didn't say what exactly you were doing ? Are you replacing the axle or ..what ?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Old 09-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblu65 View Post
The end of the axle ( inside the transmission ) has a spring clip ( that sits in a groove on the axle ) on it . It's doubtful you could pull it out just using your hands . Take a screwdriver and catch the axle close to the transmission and pry it outward . It should pop right out . Be careful as you pry on the transmission case - you don't want to break anything ! When you get it out , you'll see the clip I mentioned . Make sure the clip is on there when you reinstall the axle and also make sure the clip reengages when you put it back ( by pulling on the axle and making sure it won't come back out ) . Your video showed your problem - getting the axle out - but you didn't say what exactly you were doing ? Are you replacing the axle or ..what ?
i appologize. ive posted numerous threads over and over for the last 3 or 4 weeks. im changing the engine on a 93 nissan sentra 5 speed 1.6. this, along with many other prevously posted videos are questions since i don't have much exprince on changing an engine. thing like the alternator and brakes and simpler stuff ive done but things like axles are more difficult. alot of other users know what im doing already so i got used to not putting what im doing for those who haven't seen my other stuff. the clip you mention, is it like a wire clip? is it on the boot that is on the end of the axle next to the transmission? or is it between that black boot and the transmission? does it take alot of prying? its a manuel transmission if that is any help. im asking my questions before i move on.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie View Post

Is this clip on the shaft itself? or on the boot next to the transmission? or is it between the boot and transmission? Is it difficult to pry lose? Is the right side the same way?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoKillz View Post
Is this clip on the shaft itself? or on the boot next to the transmission? or is it between the boot and transmission? Is it difficult to pry lose? Is the right side the same way?

Look at the end of the axle that goes into the wheel hub (with the brakes disc on it).

This has lots of splines on it, these are what allow the axle to turn the hub.

On the other end of the axle is a very similar set up.
There is a short shaft on the end of the CV joint with splines on it that allow the out put from the gear box to turn the axle.
These splines have a groove cut in to them running around the diameter of the axle, and in this groove is a steel spring.
You can't see it untill you get the axle out.

As oldblu65 suggested, get under the car (make sure it is safely supported, I don't want to see a video of you being squashed) and pry the axle out of the gear box.
You will know when it comes loose

Then just becareful handling the axle, so the CV joints do not seperate.

If you going to get new axles and CV joints (and its not a bad idea while you have it all apart) then go ahead and have a play with them, cut the boots off and see how they work.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIETHA6BQB8

thats my update. I had another question that i didn't add in the video. I found underneath, the link from the shifter to the transmission. Its pretty much underneath the car. How does that come apart or seperate from the transmission?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Moppie
Master Connector

Your doing a good job, keep it up.

Can you shoot some video of the gear shift linkages?

On the hondas they are held into the gearbox by simple pins that you need to drive out with a hammer and shift.
I believe the nissans are similar.

The Caprice almost makes up for the rice
Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie View Post
Your doing a good job, keep it up.

Can you shoot some video of the gear shift linkages?

On the hondas they are held into the gearbox by simple pins that you need to drive out with a hammer and shift.
I believe the nissans are similar.

The Caprice almost makes up for the rice

I do thank you for your help. Ill get a shot of the steering linkage in a couple of days. When I go to reinstall the axles, those clips should be seated right in that grove and just shove it in right? Whats the point of this clip? Just to help hold the axle in?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #10
Moppie
Master Connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoKillz View Post
When I go to reinstall the axles, those clips should be seated right in that grove and just shove it in right? Whats the point of this clip? Just to help hold the axle in?
You got it.
The clip won't seat in perfectly, but it should be in the groove as it where.
Inside the output from the gearbox is a matching set of splines, with a matching groove.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical