Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
350supercharged
AF Newbie

supercharged chevy 350 build

Would anyone know if it would be cheaper to buy individual forged internals, for a standard size Chevy 350, and have a machine shop take the Chevy 350 block, clean it, check it, make it a 4 bolt main, balance it, and anything else needed to make it handle a supercharger at around 550hp or just buy a partial engine that has the block, forged internals, and is already balanced(cheapest i found was $2800 For my application)?

Standard 350 block
4" bore
3.48" stroke
5.7" rods
8.5-1 compression ratio with 64cc Vortec heads
122ci supercharger
forged crank,rods,dish pistons

Here what I'm trying to do: http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/116_0609_supercharged_350ci_chevy/index.html

If anyone has any information on this it would greatly be appreciated

Last edited by 350supercharged; 09-02-2009 at 03:12 AM.
350supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: supercharged chevy 350 build

No need to "make" a 4-bolt block. Even the later "1-piece seal" blocks are plentiful in trucks. You will be money and strength "ahead" to use a factory 4-bolt. Of course, if you're interested in installing "splayed caps" (bolts are at a slight angle), that's different.

If the engine has been run for any length of time, you really need to bore it,m at least .020", to have a "fresh" cylinder. The supercharger will change everything, and start out "right" to have a fighting chance.

We've used many Eagle rotating "kits", including one LT-1 with a ProCharger recently. Highly recommended.

If you really intend to put a blown engine on the street, use only the best materials inside. Listen to professonials first, everyone else, second (unless one has significant experience in this specific area). Superchargers and street driving are NOT for the "faint of heart". Magazines tend to embelish a bit and make you assume it's both easier and more common than it really is.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350supercharged View Post
If anyone has any information on this it would gr[/color]eatly be appreciated and could email me a Frankinstein324@Gmail.com
Welcome to AF.

Just a quick note here.... this forum discourages personal replies to email addresses here.

This forum exists to build site traffic and provide technical correspondence for all users to see. So, in future, please do not request such email replies.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
350supercharged
AF Newbie

would anyone know what rear end gears are in a 58 chevy apache 3100 longbed truck? Also i was planning on putting a supercharged 350(550hp) with th400 transmission in this trunk, will be driven mostly on the street/road and occationaly strip, would anyone know what gears i should put in it for this application?
350supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical