Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
eddieeckenrode
AF Newbie

Question Trannsmission flush discussion

I'm a proud chevy owner of a 4.3 v6x 97 s-10. I recently have put around a grand in to major tune-up of my truck. Now the only thing left to consider is my tranny. I have 97k and the tranny is untouched. Iwanted to do a tranny flush, but I've been hearing horror stories about getting high mileage tranny's flushed when they never had any fluid changes. My trans shifts fine, never had a problem at all with it . So my question is flush or not to flush and why?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
jsgold
AF Enthusiast

Personally, I have never seen a transmission fail due to a flush or known anyone that did. It can happen though if the truck has a LOT of miles on it and it has been really abused/ignored. There are a lot of opinions on changing fluid-period, but I think a flush should be done every 75,000 miles myself. OK to do a simple pan drop and filter change say, every 25,000 miles or every 2 years to keep the crud out of the system as much as possible(the magnet will have a lot on it) but still, the system needs a total cleaning at least ONCE if you plan to get 200+miles out of it. If you tow I think even more often, say 50K. If a transmission is ignored TOO long it gets dependant on the crud inside for friction on the clutch plates. The material wears away faster than it should and the particles in the fluid can help maintain some friction (a lousy way to do it) and when finally done a flush can cause slippage, not due to the change itself, but the clutch material is gone. If done wrong you can have seals blow, but have not seen this personally. 97K is not that many miles. Get is flushed and new filter and pan cleaning. I have flushed ALL my family's vehicles (five including my father's old Olds) and their mileage when done was 64K, 102K,140K, 110K, and 160K with no problems. Four I did myself, one (the old lady's Dodge) I had a good shop do. the trucks at my work were done all around 90-100K. AOK.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
xtrememeasures10
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to xtrememeasures10
Re: Trannsmission flush discussion

The fluid has broken down to the point where its hardly protecting at this point. People come into my work with high mileage all the time and get a Tranny flush with no problems. however there has been one time there was a problem on a car that was over 150k. but it was shifting like shit when it came in. so i dont know either continue letting the fluid brake down even more and face having to replace your tranny or get it rebuilt sooner. or take the little risk and flush it.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
jsgold
AF Enthusiast

I might add, all of these vehicles (but one)now have 30-50K+ more on them after the flushes. No problems at all. Again though, opionions will be split on this (about as much as what motor oil do you use). Either way an easy way to start a fight! LOL! good luck with whatever you do.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
EightyZ
AF Newbie

i am going to add one thing to this fluid swap thread. What about front and rear diff. how often should the fluid be changed in those? mine has about 134k and im sure they have never been touched. tranny too.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
dmbrisket 51
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to dmbrisket 51

i try n do my tranny and differentials at the same time, around 30-50k on most vehicals, sooner if the tranney oil smells burnt
Old 03-24-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
xtrememeasures10
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to xtrememeasures10
Re: Re: Trannsmission flush discussion

Earlier s 10s coolant every 30k

s 10s 96 and up Coolant Flush 150K or 5yrs
Transmission
Auto 30K
Manual 15k
Gearboxes 15K
Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
hunthub
AF Newbie

Had a pan drop and filter replacement at 151000 and a fluid flush at 155000 and no problems til my torque converter lockup stopped working right in OD.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunthub
Had a pan drop and filter replacement at 151000 and a fluid flush at 155000 and no problems til my torque converter lockup stopped working right in OD.
No problems untill??????
Well that ought to tell you something.

Welcome to AF.
This post is about 4 years old.
Always check the date on a post and let old post stay old.
If you want to talk about the problem that your flush may have caused.
Start a New Thread / Post.
And someone will help you.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10