Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
larko
AF Newbie

trailer wiring??

Just bought and installed a hitch on my '02 Pathfinder. With the wiring harness came instructions to simply take off the tailights, unplug the lights, and then plug in the harness.

When I disassembled the tailights, I found that they are hardwired from the wirings coming outta the body. Are there plugs somewhere else to tap into before I start cuttin' and splicin'??

Thanks,
Larry
larko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
winxsd
AF Newbie

I recently installed trailer lights on my '99 Path SE. In my case, I pulled the wires out of the body of the vehicle and the plug came out after a few inches of wire. I was able to disconnect and plug in the light kit.

Good Luck,
winxsd
winxsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
jl-gearhead
AF Newbie

I installed a class III hitch on my 2001 LE a month ago. Noticed there was no "plug-and-go" harness out there from retailers, but the Xterra had it

Now I bet there will be someone to tell me there is a pigtail plug somewhere, but I gave up on that venture. I ended up piggy-back splicing into the left and right rear lamp harnesses for brake, turn, and lighting. (The old fashioned way - no cut, but a plastic clamp splice device). Not a big deal and easy to test your way through it with a 12V test light pen from an auto-store (key item, for many reasons...) and a stick to push the brake pedal down and hold it. (If the wife is occupied with something else in the house and can't be an Egor)

Even better, leave the new plug inside the cargo area and just hang out across the plush weather-strip when needed, so it does not corrode outside every day. That is, if you will use it only occasionally like me.

The trouble left on my side is that the harnesss for my trailer is 4-wire. I.e., Grnd, left blink, right blink, and either brake or light So, I have currently chosen light over brake seeing that the pathy 3rd light is easily seen from behind on braking. However, should I someday tow something taller than the light, I will have to add a 5th wire.

Good luck, and let me know if you learn of a pigtail somewhere. Or, no don't
jl-gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
scottmcnicol
AF Newbie

I bought a plug and play piggy back type of wiring harness for my 98 LE.
It installs by removing the side panels of the cargo area and getting to the back side of the tail light plugs. It's hard to get your hand into the small space. The plug on the wiring harness would only fit the correct tail light plug so attaching it to the wrong plug is impossible. The hardest part was prying of the side panels and tail gate plate which all have plastic tabs that are very fagile. I was able to get them off and back on properly but it took some time and pactiance. I bought the wiring harness from Canadian Tire, but I'm sure it's for sale in the
States.
scottmcnicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
drewm
AF Newbie

Have you tried this yet? I am planning to try on my 02 Pathfinder this weekend and would love any advice.

Thanks.
drewm is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail