Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 12:20 AM   #16
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
it should also be noted, that in the current autoweek mag, it was noted that the 500 hp # could be conservative, similar to the 60's muscle cars... hows that sound for ya???

oh... that vent on the roof is for ventilation of the cabin obviously, it is typical of race cars, as they dont have heating and a/c in em
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 12:13 PM   #17
Psman32@af
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Psman32@af Send a message via Yahoo to Psman32@af
you saw that too in autoweek huh fly. i also like the reason for putting the new engine upgrades. Because we thought it'd be really cool. Also japenese underrate their cars. the 3000GT VR4 is rated at 276 when it really makes about 320.
Psman32@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 04:07 PM   #18
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

Enzo, I was wondering what the hell that Air Scoop on the roof was for, it is useless, maybe it makes the "natural" air conditioning work. Seriously, it might cool the rear brakes but, it is still kind of useless.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 04:45 PM   #19
Adam
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs down SICK!

the rt-10 is sooo ugly... the showcar gts-r is great, hopefully the don't uglify the rear end like they did on the RT-10
Old 04-24-2001, 04:49 PM   #20
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
yeah i read autoweek like the bible. along w/ all the other mags i read.
but anyways. the vent is similar to rally cars, it cools the driver. it is simply another area for direct air induction to cool the occupants.
dont you watch racing, like alms, or wrc, or any touring car series? it is similar to what they are running.
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 05:01 PM   #21
verboom
AF Regular

Well, finally they've got a viper that looks better. I think once it reaches production, that will be a decent looking car.
verboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 05:51 AM   #22
johnny
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to johnny Send a message via AIM to johnny
I don't really like how it looks in pics. I'll have to see this sucker in person before I make any real judgements.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 11:23 AM   #23
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
I prefer the old styling.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:12 PM   #24
Whitebread
AF Regular

I saw the GTS-R in New York. And the new RT-10's air intake looks like the one on the new Hemi.
Whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 12:51 PM   #25
zero-kool-420
AF Newbie

Talking 2002 dodge viper

i think the dodge viper gts/r beacuse it looks difrent from other dodge vipers. it is totaly diffrent. :frog:
zero-kool-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 01:04 PM   #26
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Man I wish they would release the real GTS-R!!!
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 02:34 PM   #27
atc_rider
AF Newbie

i really like the 2002 viper but they take the style from GM
atc_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 02:46 PM   #28
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by atc_rider
i really like the 2002 viper but they take the style from GM
How? And what car?

Looks more like an Martin or Jag in the front, to me anyhow.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 01:52 AM   #29
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by JD@af
My comment on the new Viper is that I hope that Dodge takes a cue from GM's transformation of the Corvette into the Z06. I feel the Viper has the power it needs. What I think Chrysler needs to do is finesse that which it already has. Shed some curb weight, maybe even drop a little displacement and rev that block higher to make the high horsepower. I keep seeing slightly elevated horsepower and torque figures for Vipers, and yet there are cars with less power turning in similar performance numbers.. though that is not to take away anything from the awe-inspiring Viper.

I dunno, maybe Chrysler's aim is to keep it as being a brutish powerhouse, and maybe that's what the Viper's marketing gurus feel will keep it successful, but fewer and fewer cars today share the Viper's balls-to-the-wall approach at making formidable performance stats. While I respect it for taking such an aggressive stance, I think it could stand to have the volume turned down a couple notches in the power department, receive attention elsewhere to make just as good performance numbers, and attract a larger potential-buying audience in the process.
So you want a Viper to come with climate control, cup holders, traction control, vanity mirrors and run flat tires? No way, don't hold your breath. DC will not compromise the Viper for the sake of mass production (1,400 Vipers per year versus 35,000 Corvettes). No offense, but 57% of C5 owners are women.

Why would you want the Viper to be anything like a Vette? Your best hope is that Bob Lutz brings the Corvettes real performance heritage back, and makes a Viper Killer version or option on the Corvette. Until then, don't compare these two cars. They are two cars that were built for completely different purposes. I love Corvettes, but this doesn't stop me from loving all high performance cars.

By the way, the car that you guys are taking pot shots at is the 2003 RT Viper (and not the 2002). It'll have 500/500/500, or 500 HP, 500 lb-ft of torque and 500 cubic inches.

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 07:20 AM   #30
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
Arrow Viper 10

Okay, I guess I see your point. I can see how the Viper faithful would relish the original for what it is, and therefore not want to see alterations made that would detract from its original glory, and change the mold that Chrysler boldly made for it. I suppose the masses would desire to make it more mainstream with cup holders and such, and that marketing personnel at DC would share in their enthusiasm for this revamped market strategy. Sadly, this is often how decisions are made that dictate a car’s fate.

Please excuse the comparison, but the import tuners are of course very unhappy with many of Honda’s latest changes to the 2001 Civic. Similar situation, where the enthusiasts are losing out by the decisions made, but the car is now more marketable to a greater proportion of motorists, and so from that perspective the changes were a success. The automakers know that they can’t please everybody. They pick their poison and drink it with confidence. They’ll lose some buyers if they can hope to pick up more to replace them. Seems that DC can afford to choose a different path with the Viper.

Besides, the Z06, even if it is not a Viper killer, is certainly a Viper competitor, despite the pricing gap. The only other car made by a major domestic manufacturer that can hold a candle to it is the Viper.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster