Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Buckeye95
AF Newbie

[FIXED] - Problem with Air Filter Change - 02 Venture

Thanks everyone for your responses - Issus has been fixed.

Based on the recommendations given, I looked for a hole in the valve cover. I had to look carefullly, and with all of the other hardware and hoses in the way there was only a small area you could look through to see it, but I found it. Knowing where the hole was in the valve cover, I could snake the rigid hose back in there and use the hose itself as a lever to create enough force to push the end back into the hole (it went in fairly easily). I have a feeling this is why this was engineered as a rigid hose. After that, pushed the other end in the duct and it was done. Thanks for all your help !!!

Pete

All,

First time poster here. Tried to change the air filter on my 2002 Venture this afternoon and ran into a problem. Per the recommendations here (and in the manual), I removed the duct piece from in between the filter assembly and engine. To do this, you need to not only remove the clamps on either end, but also the rigid hose that seats into the top of the duct through a 90 degree elbow.

Well, I got the filter replaced and the duct back in place (which was a pain into itself as many of us know), but that's when the real problem showed up. When trying to reseat the rigid hose that plugs into the duct, it goes loose and the other loose end emerges from the back of the engine. I looked and felt back there with no idea where it plugs in. Note that this hose is a very rigid piece.

Is this hose important ? Is it critical that it be in place for the car to even be driven ? As far as replacing it, any ideas where to look for the hole where it terminates ? Hopefully I can get this resolved without a trip to the dealer

Thanks in advance,

Pete
Buckeye95

Last edited by Buckeye95; 10-27-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Buckeye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Problem with Air Filter Change - 02 Venture

Welcome to AF. Vent tube it sounds like, should go the valve cover from the duct.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
HC2000

Thumbs up Re: Problem with Air Filter Change - 02 Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye95
All,

Is this hose important ? Is it critical that it be in place for the car to even be driven ? As far as replacing it, any ideas where to look for the hole where it terminates ? Hopefully I can get this resolved without a trip to the dealer
Hi,
Pete, I have a 99' montana that has the same engine as your chevy. Our wise moderator maxxwedge is correct. That is where your good news ends though Pete. It will be hard to reach if your hands are larger than a 10 year old girl. If your engine has a plastic shield on top of the intake manifold, remove it, via your engine oil cap. Just keep turning the cap counter-clockwise until it loosens. The vent tube connects in a fitting on the valve cover and you may be able to get your fingers back there to feel the opening. Holding the tube and getting it in the fitting may be another matter. If push comes to shove you may have to undo the upper motor mounts and "roll" the engine forward for access. I know you are thinking that would be extreme,runaround but this is a common practice on these engines. The van will run without it connected, but you will be allowing dust and debris into your engine and will definately cause problems soon enough. Good luck.
HC2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

Re: Problem with Air Filter Change - 02 Venture

put the van up on a rack or set of ramps allow it to cool off as you will have to reach up right beside the exhaust pipe. as you look up you will see a hole on the left side of the rear valve cover.this is where the hose fits into. reach up beside the exhaust and push it into the hole. good luck
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture