Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
|WYG|SS
AF Regular

weird clicking noise then car dies...

91 sunbird 2.0L TBI OHC i was driving home from work theother day and i secide to step on gas then i noticed that the car took like 5 sec to respond. then i drove further and then i get at a stop sign then driveing away from it i hear a clicking noise like something snaped. it would do that oion and off for yesterday then im driving home from work and i get at a 4 way and i go to turn then i hear a clicking noise then the car dies. the weird thing is that the car would run fine then the problem would happen then it would run fine again. what could be wrong? could it be a bad fuel injector? the other thing is that i go and fill car up to half a tank of gas then next morhing i go and looo the car ais at quarter tank of gas. i only drove to the other side of town and back which is about 5 miles

Last edited by |WYG|SS; 07-22-2006 at 07:43 AM.
|WYG|SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
|WYG|SS
AF Regular

Re: weird clicking noise then car dies...

my dad mentioned that it could be the fuel injector, but todya when i looked at the car it looked like it was spraying ok, then i draw mt attention to the spark plugs and i look at connections on distributator cap and as soon i i push the coil wire in i heard a click. when i put on the new wires that coil wire wouldnt stay on it would want to slip off. so i took a tie wrap and put it around wire and it should be good. the clicking noise could have been a arcing noise and overloading the spark plugs and causing car to die.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
noshun
AF Enthusiast

i would have said it was arcing. that explains the shitty gas mileage also.

'Never forget Grasshopper, Not speed, smile!'
noshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
|WYG|SS
AF Regular

i went and bought a new dist.a nd rotor and ill see how that works cause hte dist. cap had all oxydized then the rotor had burnt off part of the little petal piece that sticks out and melted it on all of the contacts of the dist.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
|WYG|SS
AF Regular

the far pass. side spark wire was ripped off inside boot and this is like the 4th set i put on their with this happening on other spark plugs. i even put on that boot stuff so it wont stick.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis